Logo

6hp johnson cd23e

"I have the same motor but hav

"I have the same motor but have a different problem with it after using it religiously for seven years.

I'm not sure what the part is called, but it is, no doubt, a commonly replaced part, as it is made of plastic and takes a bit of torque every time the starter cord is pulled.

On the spindle that lines up the starter cord, there is a plastic piece with cogs that, when the starter cord is pulled, will lift up and engage cogs on what looks to be a flywheel. This plastic piece has diagonal slots through which a pin goes and which are used to lift it up to the flywheel.

This part has broken. Gorilla Glue does not work on this (it's the first time that Gorilla Glue has ever failed me). It was quite easy to remove the part (now two parts), and I can't fathom paying a technician $45.00 for a three minute fix that I can perform without even getting my hands greasy.

I have been unable to find this part online anywhere, not have I been able to find a parts diagram for this motor that would enable me to call it by the correct name. I know that I could call my local repair guy to have it ordered, but would have to pay the 100% markup that he normally screws me out of.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: By the way, David, it's a great motor. It trolls my 19' fiberglass FourWinns along perfectly with barely a burp."

That part is called a starter

That part is called a starter pinion gear and it most likely can be had right off this site.

Look up above you on this page and you will see an icon that says parts. You can search it out there or start a new thread on it and andrew can assist you on locating it on here

"Thanks Willard. When I searc

"Thanks Willard. When I searched the parts directory all that I was able to find was a bunch of manuals. So I should start a new thread, I guess. Thanks for the help. At least now I know what it's called."

"I just wanted to post a resol

"I just wanted to post a resolution to my query...

After learning the correct name of the part, I was able to find it, in-stock, at a local Johnson repair shop. The item cost me less than $12.00. Thanks for all of your help."

"I have a 6hp evinrude, Model

"I have a 6hp evinrude, Model #E6RCRM. Would like to know fuel/oil mix and spark plug part number and gap setting. Thanks for your help!"

"James,

You should really h

"James,

You should really have started a "new discussion" for a new question like this. Otherwise it might not be noticed as a new posting.

That motor is a 1984.
50:1 fuel to oil
The parts manual calls for Champion QL77J4 or L77J4 or L78V
Gapped at 0.040""

"Ron,

Sorry I didn't no

"Ron,

Sorry I didn't notice your question about this before. That Starter Pinion gear is not something we could have supplied. Part 0318447 for $12.30. Glad you found it at a dealer."

I JUST FOUND A 6 HP JOHNSON SE

I JUST FOUND A 6 HP JOHNSON SEA HORSE THAT RUNS
BUT WILL NOT PUMP WATER TO COOL ANY IDEAS?
ED

Back