Logo

OLDER NISSAN 25 HP COIL PROBLEM

J

JERSEYJOE

I JUST PICKED UP AN OLDER 2.5

I JUST PICKED UP AN OLDER 2.5 HP NISSAN--ONE OF THE RED WHITE AND BLUE ONES--GUY SAID IT WAS A 1991??? ANYWAYS HE SAID IT RUNS MINT FOR LIKE 30 MINUTES AND THEN SPUTTERS AND RUNS LIKE HELL----HE SAYS THE DEALER TOLD HIM ITS THE COIL BUT I DONT WANT TO GO FOR A COIL IF THATS NOT THE PROBLEM----ALSO NEED PARTS LIKE A PETCOCK AND MAYBE SOME NEW TOP ENGINE COVERS YOU KNOW THE BIG 2 PIECE PLASTIC COVERS THAT HIDE THE ENGINE---MOTOR FIRES RIGHT UP AND PUMPS WATER SO I WANT TO FIX IT UP FOR MY BOY---PLEASE HELP---ANYBODY GOT PARTS FOR ME

i was thinkin about the blue t

i was thinkin about the blue top motor covers------i need some nice blue ones----dealer says he cant get em-----only in gray now----thanks joe

You have to determine what sys

You have to determine what system on the engine is the problem and then what part of that system is the failure point. Manual......Manual.....Manual

THEY TELL ME THE COIL I NEED I

THEY TELL ME THE COIL I NEED IS NOT AVAILABLE-------30906-1530M IS THE NUMBER I HAVE----ANY HELP OUT THERE--

"in all my years of playin wit

"in all my years of playin with those motors i have never seen a ignition coil go bad but good rule of thumb try to figure out what it isnt being you just got it i would automatically clean the carb and change all hoses, clean the filter in the tank and change the bad fuel valve, then i woul pull the flywheel and clean and adjust the points also check all connections and throw a new plug in it and try it if that dont fix then you should change that coil im not sure if it nla or not never had to change one if you dont know how to work on it please get a manual or take it to a dealer"

"As the coil is not available

"As the coil is not available from any source it is time to send the engine to the junk pile. It's sad, but that's all you can do...Unless you want to spend some time looking for another junk engine to rob for parts."

one of our customers converted

one of our customers converted one to the new cdi ignition but its not really worth it and im not sure it real worked he said it did but i think you could probaly adapt something to work i mean its a pretty simple coil i high doubt its bad though i have never changed one usaully the points are dirty or not set correctly start in the carb its sounds fuel related but ill see if we have one laying around probaly have a used one we had a junker come in last year might even have a new one but please make sure its the probelm

It is not parts compatable wit

It is not parts compatable with the old OMC engine and Tohatsu never manufactured anything for OMC.

dont want a fight but if you l

dont want a fight but if you look at the parts diagram and you have actully worked on one ther identical well atleast the powerheads are i got one in the shop right now heck i compared the two looks identical somebody in japan made it

tell you what i have done this

tell you what i have done this before it works and if the guy takes my advice and it dont work ill send him a check

"Just FYI, I was having troubl

"Just FYI, I was having trouble with my 3.5A and thought it might be the coil. On a whim I followed merc1500's suggestion and ordered the coil for the 1993 Johnson. It showed up today. The numbers on the coil were not the same as the oem (which was made by Mitsubishi by the way). I swapped the old coil out for the new one and what do ya know? It runs great now!!! So, if your older 3.5 or 2.5 is having ignition issues, don't give up and throw the motor away. Looks like the parts might still be available even if not from Tohatsu or Nissan."

"You lucked out that the coil

"You lucked out that the coil mounts matched. As long as it works keep running it, but keep an eye on your spark plug either running too wet or too dry due to the coils output not being the same as the old one."

"Just to add some additional i

"Just to add some additional information in case someone else is in this situation, apparently Suzuki used these coils in their early 80's 3.5's as well. I picked up a used one on ebay and it is the exact same coil. I haven't used it yet as the new one is working great, but thought that might be of help to someone down the line. Too bad there isn't some reference data base that would show us which parts are used in which engines. I bet there is a ton of overlap."

Back