Logo

Please help Volvo penta 270 outdrive propeller does not turn

"Hello, I have a 1985 bayliner

"Hello, I have a 1985 bayliner 2.1 volvo 270 out drive for the last year or so when out on the weter when I turn I hear a chattering sound. over the weekend I was go about 25mph and I can fell the boat vibrate kinda bad. I dock the the boat go to back out nothing forward the samething ( Propeller does not turn ) any Ideas ? Thanks"

"U-joints? You will have to re

"U-joints? You will have to remove the upper bellows to find out. If OK, drain the oil from the outdrive and see its condition (is it burned?) and also if there are metal particles in it."

When I put it in gear I dont h

When I put it in gear I dont hear anything from the outdrive. If the u-joints were bad could you hear them grind ? Thanks

"Possibly. Remove the shift co

"Possibly. Remove the shift cover in the outdrive and have a look, maybe it is just the shift cable becoming loose.

Have you checked the condition of the oil in the outdrive?"

The oil looks fine. I changed

The oil looks fine. I changed it last year and put maybe 20 miles or so on it . I dont think the shift cable is loose. I did noticed when I put it in reverse the outdrive pops up .... Thanks

"Then, check/adjust the revers

"Then, check/adjust the reverse pawl mechanism. If you search the forum, you will find how to do it, we have discussed this several times."

"Hello, I just checked again a

"Hello, I just checked again and when I start the engine I hear a winding noise coming from the top off the outdrive and it will not go forward or reverse. also the trim light stays on. I guess it might be the u-joints? Does anyone know how hard these are to replace ? Thanks"

"Trim light ??? You mean tilt

"Trim light ??? You mean tilt light right????
if the tilt light stays on its one of two things.
switch on tilt unit bad or...drive not all the way down. If drive does not go ALL the way down, it will not latch in reverse and will kick up."

Back