Logo

Trying to understand electric choke

dhyams

Regular Contributor
"I still am working on my cold

"I still am working on my cold start problem (http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12486/191402.shtml), and now, I'm not so sure that my choke is operating properly. It's an electric choke.

When I first start to crank, my engine is cold, and choke is closed. I crank the engine, and it runs for usually 4-5 seconds, and dies...then I crank and crank to no avail, at least until I start doing things like dumping a little gas directly into the carb.

Anyway, while trying to start, I noticed that the choke opened up completely, even though the engine really had not run yet and therefore was not warm. So at that point, I can get it to start decently reliably by 1) spritzing the carb with gasoline, and 2) holding the choke down while I crank. Since I work by myself, this involves a fairly comical procedure with one hand on the key, another with a boat hook holding the choke closed, and quick grabs of the throttle when necessary

But from all I've read about electric chokes, this behavior is normal and expected, right? An electric choke is like having the choke on an egg timer...after a set amount of time of having the key on, the choke will open, engine warm or not. Seems like it took about a minute to open completely. Is this right?

But at the same time, this causes me *two* problems. If I can't get the boat cranked before the electric choke opens the choke too much, then I *really* don't have a chance, because the choke is wide open with a cold engine.

Am I thinking about this right?"

Daniel;
There is no way the c

Daniel;
There is no way the choke should open up all the way immediately.
The choke butterfly should be just closed at room temp with the engine cold.
When the engine starts it should open about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch only.
Then as the engine warms up it should gradually open all the way within just a few minutes. It should be wide open within about 5 minutes.

If it opens immediately all the way your engine will go lean and quit.
Take a look at the choke pullof mechanism and adjust so it just opens the choke slightly.

Rod

"[b]"But from all I've

""But from all I've read about electric chokes, this behavior is normal and expected, right? An electric choke is like having the choke on an egg timer...after a set amount of time of having the key on, the choke will open, engine warm or not. Seems like it took about a minute to open completely. Is this right?"

Ayuh,.... That's Correct......

If you Fix the bottom line Issue,....(Lack of fuel in the Carb)
It'll be working Perfectly....

It sounds like you're having to crank the motor for Along Time to start it,+ having to splash gas in it is a Dead Give-away,....
That there's No Gas in the carb to begin with.....

Soooo,......
Rebuild your Carb,+ Find out where,+ why it's leaking off internally....."

Daniel Hyams
One thing you sh

Daniel Hyams
One thing you should be aware of is that when your choke is cold the plate will probably appear to be open(vertical). Hit the throttle lever once prior to starting. This should allow the choke plate to release itself to the closed position. If you are having choke problems and have to add a squirt of gas to get going cold then your choke is not doing its job.
Bert

Back