Logo

270 outdrive Dash light stays on even when the drive is down

discobayken

Regular Contributor
"The dash light on my motor li

"The dash light on my motor lift button stays on at all times. yes, it goes all the way down. and yes I hold the button until it stops completely. The drive must be locking into place because I've never had a problem operationally. But the light just wont go off...ever. Please advise. Thank you!"

Thanks EP. Is that switch insi

Thanks EP. Is that switch inside the housing? (looks like it). Should I hit it with big hammer in place or open the housing and then hit it with a big hammer? Ken

"I would be a bit gentler than

"I would be a bit gentler than that, unless you are prepared to buy another lifting mechanism afterwards (and they are not cheap)
biggrin.gif
. Just remove the screws on the lifting mechanism cover and check the condition of the switch (it may have popped-out from its location)."

"semi related question: the li

"semi related question: the lift motor looks like its held in place by a pair of studs coming out of the electric motor with a couple nuts holding it. Mine (for whatever reason) has just one screw going into the electric motor and nothign on the other side. I know this is wrong. I have been afraid to take off the motor because it looks like the worm drive and related parts will come out with it. Will the motor come off by itself (so I can install the correct studs, etc) without the worm gear and all the other stuff coming with it? obviously I'd like to get it fastened in there right but I didnt want to open a new can of worms (pun intended) in the process... Thanks"

"My spare motor has just two s

"My spare motor has just two screws (one slotted, one Phillips) so I guess that the previous owner modified it at some point. But fear not, only the motor comes out when you remove the two screws, nuts, or whatever is holding the motor to the lifting mechanism."

"Ken, I had to replace those l

"Ken, I had to replace those lift motor studs once and could not find them so I improvised by buying a length of threaded rod and 4 nylon lock nuts and then basically making my own studs. I first cut the threaded rod into two pieces that comfortably went all the way through the stud holes in the motor and then used the nylon lock nuts on the ends of the threaded rod to secure the motor in place against the lift mechanism. I did this to an old lift motor where the studs had broken or were damaged and it worked great."

Back