Logo

Water pump on a 95

roeboat

"I would like to begin by stat

"I would like to begin by stating that this is my first time here and that I hope to glean valuable knowledge from many of the experienced member of this board. Thank you in advance.

The situation that I have is with a 1973 Johnson 9.5 engine. To make a long story short, or perhaps longer, I purchased the engine non- running, with very little prior history other than it did run at some point in time. I have a fair amount of mechanical knowledge, and was able to trouble shoot the engine and get it to run however in a test tank, I noticed that it was not pumping water. Okay simple- change the impeller. Which after a long struggle; three days of soaking the piece with penetrating oil and several twisted off screws, I able to dislodge the pump housing.

I was able to clean it replace all of the seals and gaskets; replace the metal plate and the impeller. So far, so good. But this is where the problem really begins. I did not pay close attention on how the water line- copper tube that carries the water from the pump to the engine, fitted into the upper unit. I can see where the passage is, where the shift linkage comes out and the water tube goes in, but I do not see how it mates up to the engine to force the water through the cooling jackets. I have a manual, and have gone to the OEM website, but do not see on any of the diagrams how the two match up. I have tried to spy it through the driveshaft hole, but it is so small that I cannot detect any thing. I did not want to dissemble the outer cowling and remove the exhaust housing for fear of twisting off more bolts.

So the question is this, how do the two fit together? Thank You."

"Well now , I believe you need

"Well now , I believe you need to remove the powerhead in order to properly fit the water tube. Come to think of it you HAVE to remove the powerhead to fit the tube."

"Thanks Ikia. I was hoping no

"Thanks Ikia. I was hoping not to have to do this, as I do not want to twist off any more bolts but I guess there is no other alternative.
Thanks again."

"My question is not about my m

"My question is not about my motor, they have been answered,but can anyone tell me what year my boat is? I was given the boat and motor by an aunt and it belonged to my Grandfather. There is no title,as yet, so I am in a pickle. It is a 14ft Lone Star aluminum boat. The serial number is all I have to go by. Serial No. 850512. The motor is a 1967 but don't know if they were bought together. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks"

"Mike.... The water tube is su

"Mike.... The water tube is supposed to stay in the upper retaining hole. There is a "O" Ring and a retaining ring that secures the tube to the upper section.

Unfortunately that water tube does get pulled out at times, it it's really a time consuming ordeal to get it back into place which requires a great deal of patience.

Standing in back of the engine, having the engine tilted to an extreme, and using a small very bright narrow beam flashlight, you will eventually see the hole that the tube fits into. It will be found on the port side at about the 11 O'clock position as you're looking up (or down) into that housing.

If you remove the small plate that the shift rod goes thru, that may help in locating it. File, round off the top of the tube slightly to help it fall into place. Note that the "O" Ring I mentioned is trapped in place and will not move, meaning that once you get that tube back into place, it will be sealed properly.

Now, get your long nose pliers out and get to work. When you see the little men with the white coats walking towards you.... put the pliers down and quickly walk away.

It is almost hidden from sight, on purpose I suspect, by an evil minded engineer.

When time permits, visit my eBay store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"Joe, thanks for your post. Yo

"Joe, thanks for your post. Your information has been really helpful in understanding why those two guys in white jackets are milling around my front yard in the mornings and why I hear the distant voices in my head.
smile.gif

You are additionally right about the evil minded engineer,as I cannot find the water inlet. I taped a small key chain LED light to a rod an inserted it through where the drive shaft comes out, but with no success in locating the inlet. I did remove the plate and twisted off one of the three screws in the process, but still I was was not able to spy the inlet.

I guess that I am faced with removing the outer cowling and separating the exhaust housing to insert the tube. Which may be well worth it,as I will need to replace the O ring as well.

Now if all goes well and I am able to remove the exhaust housing with out twisting any of the bolts off, I will be the better man. However though if I end up twisting some any of the bolts off, well lets just say, my next writing my be from the Sunny Dale Sanatorium. Wish me luck as I attempt this during the week. Thanks again."

Back