Logo

Ford Lehman 120 model 2714e 1967

D

David Moore 31

"I am having trouble being cer

"I am having trouble being certain that what I believe is the dip stick on my ford Lehman's Transmission actually is. It sits on top of the transmission, where I think a dip stick should be, but it doesn't seem to want to come out. If I push down on it it springs back to position, but if I pull or twist to pull, it doesn't want to come. The cap like part I am pulling on is a bit crimped on the bottom. Am I looking at the correct part, and will I break it, if I pry it up? Boat is new to me. Thanks much, Dave"

"Sounds like you're trying

"Sounds like you're trying to check the fluid level with the breather. About 3/8 or 1/2 inch round and 3/8 inch tall? If you look underneath you'll see a hex head bolt type spot to unscrew it. That's the breather.

Now, not to bore those who might already know, but Lehman didn't make transmissions. You probably have either a Paragon or Borg Warner "velvet drive" transmission. Both will have dipsticks on the starboard forward portion of the main casting. Some have a regular dipstick type handle, some have a 'screw to tighten' plug type handle and some have a flat bar stock type handle. Or possibly over the years someone has made yet another handle for yours.

Go to http://www.simplicity-marine.com/Files/1-1assembly.htm and look at part #17 to see what a BW 72 (a very common trans on a Lehman) dipstick looks like and where it is on the trans.

K"

"Thank you, Fred. Glad I didn&

"Thank you, Fred. Glad I didn't pry up on the breather. Next time I am on the boat, I should be able to go right to the dipstick. I appreciate the fine guidance including the Internet selection for the parts list.
Dave"

Back