Logo

70 Evinrude need new propeller

leo21

"I have a 70 something outboar

"I have a 70 something outboard 70 horsepower. 3 cylinder, runs decent. I think this is my size: Johnson, Evinrude Outboard 70 HP (1974 & Newer) Propellers I have one of the 3 blades pretty beat up.
Question #1 Can this be taken off and beaten back into shape?
Question #2 I was looking at iboats props for a 70 something Evinrude and found several types. Could someone enlighten me about props and pitch?
I am looking for power to pull skiers/tubers but speed would be nice, so what's the difference for prop angles(pitch)?
Any recommendations about props Whats the best bang for the buck?"

"Larry, I've always run OM

"Larry, I've always run OMC/BRP props. A little more expensive, but I've never had an issue with one. Props are also available on this site. Look over on the right toward the bottom for props. Your gearcase should take a 13 spline prop with a maximum diameter of 14 inches.

The diameter and pitch are dependant on what type of boat you have it on. I'd look over the old prop and see if you can find numbers like 13X17 or whatever. It's usually stamped on the rear face of the prop right near the prop nut. Some props have it stamped on the outside of the hub between the base of two blades.

The pitch is probably the more important number. A lower pitch number will give more pull out power for Skiing/Tubing. The boat will run slower, and the engine rpm's will be higher. Conversly, a higher pitch will run faster, the rpm's will be lower, but you'll have less pull out power. Typically, you want to select a prop that will let the engine run near the top of it's recommended rpm range at full throttle with a light load in the boat. a 70 Hp motor on a 16-17 ft light runabout would probably do best with a 13 3/4 X 15 or 13 1/4 X 17 prop. If you intend to ski a lot, I'd try the 15 first.

Most of the props for that motor will have a diameter between 13 and 14 inches. A very light boat will run better with the larger diameter. A smaller diameter will let the motor spin up a little higher during pull out. This allows the engine to produce a little more torque to pull larger boats out of the hole.

Check out this page http://www.marineengine.com/parts/prop/prop_wizard.php?pageID=propWizard.php&loc ationID=1598&option=1974ds_2001&selectionID=1795611_Rn61HNDAYFK#propWizard

for a chart on props that will fit your motor"

"Alloy props can be repaired a

"Alloy props can be repaired and to some extent so can stainless but the amount of rebending possible is less than for an alloy.

I launch in shallow water and return in the dark, so I always use SST (Stainless Steel Tough) props as they can take a battering and these are better for skiing (more bite) and last longer than alloy. You don't mention your boat size but usually a 15 pitch for skiing and a 17 for cruising speed."

Back