Logo

Electric shift on a 55 evinrude

E

Erik Autio

"I bought a boat with a 55 evi

"I bought a boat with a 55 evinrude electric shift , when i bought it it was in the drive position . I pulled the spark plugs and turned the motor over to see if i could shift it back into nuetral but it's not working . Does the motor have to be running to get it out of drive ? Can I start it in drive ? IO had you guys answer this question before is there any other way or do I have to wait til i can run it ?"

The motor has to turn in order

The motor has to turn in order for the pump to provide oil pressure to shift.In good condition it will shift to nuetral after one turn of the flywheel.Turn it over with the starter and use a 2 X 4 on the prop to see if it shifted. The prop has a tendency to keep turning from internal drag.

"I did what you said and it se

"I did what you said and it seemed like the the motor was turning over , but when I did it again the starter quit working . All i hear is a click from the starter cylinoid and the starter is free spinning ."

the battery is brand new I jus

the battery is brand new I just bought it .

Then fix / lube the starter.Tu

Then fix / lube the starter.Turn the flywheel ( quickly )with a 1-5/16" socket and it will shift after 1 turn or so. That is how I test the units before installing on a motor.

"(Hydro Electric Shift&#41

"(Hydro Electric Shift)
(J. Reeves)

The shifting setup of the lower unit is what's called a "Hydro Electric Shift", which is quite complex consisting of voltage being applied to solenoids in the lower unit which in turn change oil passages via a oil pump that supplies various pressure on a spring loaded shifter dog. The wires leading to the lower unit (at the powerhead) are "Green" and "Blue". The engine must be running or cranking over in order to shift out of forward gear.

You CAN NOT use HI VIS lube in that lower unit. You MUST USE what OMC calls "Premium Blend" lube, commonly called "Type C". (A thinner lube)

Note: The engine must be running OR have the driveshaft turning by some other means in order for the engine to shift.

In neutral, you need 12v to the "Green" wire.
In reverse, you need 12v to both wires, the "Green" one and the "Blue" one.
In forward, there should be no voltage to either wire. (The spring loaded shifter dog forces the unit into forward gear)

To check the lower unit for proper shifting to make sure you have no trouble there, remove the spark plugs to avoid problems and to allow a higher cranking speed.

This next step eliminates the actual shift switch in case problems may exist there.... Disconnect the blue & green wires at the knife connectors (the rubber insulated boots) leading to the lower unit at the powerhead, then using jumpers, take voltage direct from the starter solenoid to apply voltage to the "Green" wire for neutral, then both wires 'Green" & "Blue" for reverse (Remember the engine must be cranking over in order to shift).
With no voltage applied, the unit should be in forward. No need for a ground jumper... the lower unit's already grounded. You may crank the engine with the key switch or by energizing the starter solenoid with a jumper wire.

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Thanks Joe but how can I start

Thanks Joe but how can I start the motor when I put the shifter in the start position it kills the power because it's in drive .

You need to look at this motor

You need to look at this motor carefully.A good starter / with a good battery / with a good motor / with a good lower unit means no trouble. In short the lower unit in drive DOES NOT affect your starting --- none whatsoever.These lower units are good and reliable -- elegantly simple too.Try removing the lower unit and then start the motor to learn more about it.

I think what Erik is saying is

I think what Erik is saying is that when he puts the *lever* in the location marked "start" the neutral safety switch prevents the starter from operating since the shift position is forward. I don't know what Erik has for a control box. Every control box has a means for advancing the throttle without shifting into gear. The white and grey OMC boxes had the lever on the top/back. Earlier models had the fast idle lever directly behind the main shift control. Binnacle mount controls often have a button to press while in neutral. The button releases the shift function of the main lever allowing it to advance the throttle in neutral. Many flush mount controls operate the same way. I'm not familiar with the controls typically used with the electric gearcases though. (Before my time!)

"He has the push button contro

"He has the push button control.The nuetral button is pushed in , but when the motor is not running it is in FORWARD and always is in forward when it is not running.Hand lever is throttle only.The switch to prevent cranking with too much throttle may be mounted on the motor itself."

Back