Logo

Volvo Aq130 vs Aq131 compatibility Help me please

jkprebola

I have bought a 86 bayliner ca

I have bought a 86 bayliner capri and am told it originaly came with a aq131 volvo penta engine the motor that came with it (out of the boat) is a aq130. does anyone know if these two motors are interchangeable or will it depend on the out drive thanks in advance jay

"Both the AQ130 and the AQ131

"Both the AQ130 and the AQ131 have the same bellhousing bolt pattern and can work on the same outdrive. From that perspective, they are interchangeable. However, the motors are completely different."

Thanks that is excactly what i

Thanks that is excactly what i wanted to know. Now ill check and make sure the rest of the parts came with it. Do you know if the water intake ( on the aq130) and other interface parts will bolt to the existing mechanics of the boat or am i going to run into custom parts . By completely different you mean the engine configuration (meaning I could not swap the intake manifold or heads between motors correct)

"The water intake conection be

"The water intake conection between the transom shield and the engine piping is via a neoprene hose, so that should not be a problem. However, the exhaust pipe attached to the transom shield is also different for both engines.

By complete different I mean that the AQ130 is OHV raw water cooled, and the AQ131 OHC, fresh water cooled. They have different intake and exhaust manifolds, heads, etc."

"So are you saying that provid

"So are you saying that providing that both intake and exhaust manifolds are on the motor I have AQ130 i should be able to connect them to the transom with some tube, hose or piping work ( if this is true and I have to custom make them it does not sound so bad, or am I misunderstanding you. Also does the motor just cantilever off the out drive with no hard mounts of its own?"

"What I am saying is that both

"What I am saying is that both motors will bolt-up in the current bellhousing. The difference is that the exhaust pipe atached tot he transom shield for the AQ130 is vertical, and the one for the AQ131 goes at an angle. You may have to replace it if it is not he right one. Here is a link to the one for the 130:

http://www.volvopentastore.com/CONNECTING_COMPONENTS_AQ_DRIVE_UNIT_270/dm/cart_i d.657400424--category_id.332338--list_time.1205525684--session_id.693893497--sto re_id.366--view_id.317190

and here is one for the 131:

http://www.volvopentastore.com/CONNECTING_COMPONENTS_AQ_DRIVE_UNIT_275/dm/cart_i d.657400424--category_id.332884--list_time.1205568038--session_id.724241189--sto re_id.366--view_id.324026

In both cases, I am talking aboout part 22. And of course, I am considering that the outdrive is either a 270, 275 or 280. If it is a 290 or an SP, that is a different ball game.

Regarding the mounts, many of the original engines did not have mounts, but it would be wise to install them."

Back