Logo

Which is better

jeremy27

Regular Contributor
which is better adding another

which is better adding another batt. with the one I got now and a switch or a onboard charger.I tring not to have a dead batt on the water.

"Would help to know what your

"Would help to know what your working on.
if it has an engine ,check the alt. for proper output"

"Ayuh,.....

A Charging Syst

"Ayuh,.....

A Charging System in Working Order is all that really needed....
But,.... A 2nd Battery isn't at All bad......
And,......
I can't see where an Onboard Battery Charger will do alot of Good,.....
Not out on the Water anyways...."

"sorry I have mer.in/outboard

"sorry I have mer.in/outboard I'm thinking of adding another batt.the batt in there now is a marine with 1000c.a 115 reserve minutes,I was told you had to get a batt of almost the same c.a to have a switch without messing up one of the batt.Because one would charge faster than the another one.thanks"

"I was thinking of getting ano

"I was thinking of getting another one so I could use one for the radio and the another just so i could start the boat so I don't have to worry about the batt going dead and not being able to start the boat.I was going to buy a batt that had 825c.a would that be ok,maybe if I have to with a lot c.a I would have no problems.thanks"

"Get a start/deep cycle marine

"Get a start/deep cycle marine battery for the 2nd battery. The simple switch controls which battery is in use and it is the only one that gets charged. If you get the other switch with an isolator, then both get charged AS NEEDED by the alternator."

"So if I get the switch with a

"So if I get the switch with a isolater than they both will be charged but not over charged.Who makes this,I found some switchs but none of them say anything about a isolater."

How many c.a is a start up bat

How many c.a is a start up batt. and I'm adding a 12" sub and 2 more 6.5 speakers so I need enough batt so I can start the boat.

"I think this switch has a bui

"I think this switch has a built in isolator since it will operate with 2 batteries in parallel.

http://www.marineengine.com/products/accessory.php?in=2828502

What CCA battery do you need for your noise maker? Reserve Capacity in minutes is more important but a 650 CCA is more than sufficient. How many amps does your noise maker draw? I don't think you'll have a problem since the alternator will be charging both batteries while you are running on the water. Just keep track of your water levels if not "Maint. Free".

Install a 2 battery 10 amp automatic battery charger. You want one that sends the current to the battery that needs it the most and has a maint. cycle after the batteries are charged."

"Boys: <[img]"http://www.marin

"Boys:
snow.gif
step in here and confirm my statement or call me stupid.

I think this switch has a built in isolator since it will operate with 2 batteries in parallel.

http://www.marineengine.com/products/accessory.php?in=2828502

What CCA battery do you need for your noise maker? I FISH!
proud.gif
Reserve Capacity in minutes is more important but a 650 CCA is more than sufficient. How many amps does your noise maker draw? I don't think you'll have a problem since the alternator will be charging both batteries while you are running on the water. Just keep track of your water levels if not "Maint. Free".

Install a 2 battery 10 amp automatic battery charger to use overnight or when not on the water. You want one that sends the current to the battery that needs it the most and has a maint. cycle after the batteries are charged."

"That is the same switch I was

"That is the same switch I was looking at but in my book it did not say anything about a isolater,I have a charger that can switch from a 2amp to a 10amp to use overnight,I just need a batt to start the boat,The batt for the radio is a 1000cca and 115 reserve min. I have a radio that will push the 6.5 but I'm going to add a amp no bigger than a 300watt, I don't know how many amps it pulls I have to check, I don't deal with amps this small,The smallest amp I have is 800watts and it is in my suv.This is my first boat and I don't want to fry anything that's why I ask so many question.but if that switch will work I will order it now.thanks"

Ask all the questions you want

Ask all the questions you want. Please contact the Perko company about the switch before you buy it. Stay away from the Wal-Mart type cheap batteries because they are junk. Get a decent one like a DieHard Marine. If you connect the amp directly to the 2nd battery make sure the wiring is sized and fused or breakered at the battery as required by the total amp draw.

"The wireing kit I have is jus

"The wireing kit I have is just like a car and it has a 30 amp fuse at the batt,It comes sized for the watts of the amp,The batt I was going to get is the same company, It is a marine batt from napa,Is that go,If not where do you get a dieHard."

"I've used the switch on t

"I've used the switch on the left in the picture for 5+ years. I start with #1, charge both while under way, use #2 for "noise makers" and such when stationary. Works great. If your boat stays in the water, and you want to be able to turn it to off when gone, be sure bilge pumps DO NOT go through the switch. I wired mine to the back of the switch - to the #2 battery input to the switch. So the pump is always hot, but nothing else is."

NAPA batteries are fine. You

NAPA batteries are fine. You seem to have it all figured out. Nice work Jeremy. I use a battery "anti-corrosion" spray on my 3 batteries and cables that works quite well. It prevents the crud from starting. Once it starts to build up on the terminals it will "WICK" its way inside the wire sheath and ruin a cable over a year. Don't use the clear "VARNISH" type since it can interfere with your connections; use the "RED" sealer that stays liquid--use it SPARINGLY since a little goes a long way.

One more thing; the engine mus

One more thing; the engine must be off before changing the position of the battery switch.

"I really don't think the

"I really don't think the Perko switches contain an isolator. The battery the switch is on gets used and gets charged. However, it is not necessary that the engine be off. These switches are designed to make contact with both batteries momentarily when switching from one to the other although you probably don't want to cross the "Off" position in doing so, you would go from "1" to "both" to "2" when changing batteries."

"I agree. Switching from 1 to

"I agree. Switching from 1 to 2 or to both is possible while the engine is running and charging the batteries. Never switch to off while running and dead-head the alternator output, but the 1, both and 2 are aligned so that they can be selected without crossing the off position. So, I agree that the engine must be off, but only when going to the off switch position."

"The reason I was always given

"The reason I was always given for shutting off the engine is to prevent "spiking" the alternator with a different load because when changing from #1 to #2 or both not only throws a different load on the alternator it also momentarily "dead-heads" the alternator between #1 to #2 to both!
uhoh.gif

Let us know what the installation and operation manual says."

"Ok,I Will let you know thanks

"Ok,I Will let you know thanks alot,I will make sure the boat is off to turn the switch, because I'm only useing one batt to start and the other to play radio,unless otherwise,But the batt I buy doesn't have to be the same cca or even close as long as it has the power to start the boat.If that is the case I will by the one that is alittle smaller than the one I have,Already spent $110 on one batt don't really want to spent another $110 on another one.thanks"

Back