Logo

1996 115HP Evinrude losing power after good operation

115telda

The engine starts real good an

The engine starts real good and runs like a charm for about the first 15 minutes. I took the boat to the river and ran wide open for 15 minutes then the motor just stalled out on me while running wide open. I could not get the engine to crank unless I put the the fast idle on then cranked it while giving it more gas to keep it running. The engine would cut off again at regular idle. So I had to quick shift the engine into gear (otherwise it would stall out again) with full throttle. The boat would only travel about 5MPH wide open. According to the manual the engine will go into slow mode if it detects it is overheating but I am not getting any warning sounds. I brought the boat home and it cranked up no problem. I think it may be overheating but the water flow is running fine out of the indicator and I know it can't be a fuel/oil problem. Help if you can. Not sure I want to spend $1000 to get it fixed...

Had the mechanic at work check

Had the mechanic at work check the compression and spark before I bought the boat. Then I took it in to have it tuned up. I looked at the spark plugs they put on CL77. The manual calls for CL82 which from what I understand was replaced by CL78 plugs. Now the engine starts up fine when cold and runs good for a little while. Any other suggestions?

Back