Logo

290 Out Drive Question

tjwc1

"Hello I have an AQ151 with a

"Hello I have an AQ151 with a 290 out drive. I am looking for the part # for the rubber flapper that covers the exhuast in the leg. Can anyone help, or can any one tell me where i can get a parts breakdown for both the engine and leg.

thanks TJ"

Thanks EL

Thats exactly wh

Thanks EL

Thats exactly what I needed. I take it that part is important. Is it what stop water from getting back in to the engine and Hydrolocking.?

Thanks again

tj

Thanks EL

Which do you rec

Thanks EL

Which do you recomend is one better than the other? HOw about being Redundant and useing both versions at the same time. What are your thoughts

thanks tj

"I would use "either"

"I would use "either" "or", but not both at the time, as that will likely increase the exhaust gas back pressure."

EL.
Just wondering those exh

EL.
Just wondering those exhaust bellows you sent me the link to. Are from Sierra? Is that something that is only availible online or is that some thing I can purchas from local stores?. By the way I am located in Vancouver.

Thanks again
TJ

"They are a Sierra product, so

"They are a Sierra product, so you can buy them in Vancouver. The Sierra part number is 18-2757."

"OH perfect 290 discussion. .

"OH perfect 290 discussion. . . what's up guys? Hey my penta is over heating and blowing freeze plugs. I have plenty of water flow in the motor, and no water in the oil. Question . . . does the out drive(290)have some kind of pump in it that pumps sea wter up to the sea pump on the front of the motor (aq145)?
I bought this motor from a old guy in cape canaveral and he can't figure it out. I really am at the end of my rope with this project."

"There is no pump in the outdr

"There is no pump in the outdrive. The raw water pump is in the front of the engine.

Do you have a VP 4 cylinder OHC? If so, there is one copper line on the suction side and another one ont he discharge side of the raw water pump.

If the impeller is in good condition, check the condition of the raw water hose connector in the outdrive: they often get corroded and the raw water pump sucks air when the boat is on the plane. Also, check that the raw water strainer by the coolant tank is clean; that the oil cooler (if installed) is clean; and that the exhaust manifold is not choked with corrosion/scale."

"EL,

Yes VP 4cyl. I belive

"EL,

Yes VP 4cyl. I belive it is a AQ 145 or just 145 is what the old man that sold it to me is calling it.
Also, very important piece I left out is that the thermostat is cut out to allow the water to continually flow. Will this cause a Volvo Penta to over heat and blow the freeze plugs?

Yes the impeller is in good condition.
Will check the hose on the out drive to see if it is suckig air. That is a good idea because it only blows the plugs when I am getting up on plain.
I am going to upload some photos tonight so everyone can see the thing.

Thank you EL."

Back