Logo

5 HP 4 Stroke Nissan THERMOSTATE and how it works

lucky_bum

"I wish I would'a payed mo

"I wish I would'a payed more attention to the water stream that exits on the starboard aft of the engine.

Just replaced the fresh water impeller and I'm running the motor on a stand with the lower unit sunk in the big heavy duty Rubbermaid "ROUGHNECK garbage container. Here is the scenario,,,

a. At start up Engine runs and pumps a good stream (water is cold).
b. Takes quite awhile to warm (8-10 min.)
c. When warm, the stream tends to slow and water changes from warm to almost to hot to touch. Them the flow increases and water gets cold quickly.
I think it is normal scenario of a working thermostats. Any thoughts?
Another thing the Tohatsu shop manual talks about how to test the thermostat in a pan of boiling water---etc. But does not show where it is on the motor. Any one know where they are located?"

"Chuck, it sounds like your th

"Chuck, it sounds like your thermostat is toast - opening too late - belive your model will have a thermo set for about 125-130 degrees - sounds like it is opening late.

Anyhow, I don't have a Nissan manual, however, the 5 horse Nissan is built by Tohatsu. They also build the Merc 5 horse. So here's a diagram from the Merc service manual (the motors are identical except for a couple minor items and the colours/decals.

#19 in the pic is the thermostat...

116482.jpg
"

"Graham,

Here is the page i

"Graham,

Here is the page in my Tohatsu shop manual.. Strange that it does not show a thermostat where your Mercury manual does. It is the same drawing but labels are different.
I can't see the thermostat offered here on this forum however I do see it at the Mastertech forum parts department. Would like to buy here, especially because I get such good replys here. I'll try to post my pix. No sucess Need to reduce to less size megabytes. Anyway your pix show me where to look and I thank you. Send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I'll send you directly."

"Follow up,

Thanks to Tohat

"Follow up,

Thanks to Tohatsu Guru, The thermostat kit works just fine. I installed in my 5 HP Nissan 4-stroke and ran for over an hour at a steady low idle and water temp is now constant at a warm temp not hot as it were.

Back in the 70's I had built a Heath Kit Engine Analizer with all the toys.. Unfortunatly it does not have a provision to check RPM's for a one cylinder engine.It reads for 3-4-6-&-8 cylinder engines"

"Hello
New member.
I have a

"Hello
New member.
I have a Nissan 6 hp 4 stroke A. I have no tell tale flow from the exhaust/water holes in the shaft( it does have exhaust gas flow), I changed the impeller. when I loosen the water drain plug under the engine casing it has good flow, the engine doesn't overheat and runs fine, so I suspect the water pipe down to the tell tale is blocked. How do I rectify this. Also the unit sat for 3 years prior to my use.
Thanks
Mik"

Run a small piece of wire up t

Run a small piece of wire up through the tell-tale while the engine is running. If that doesn't work you can try compressed air.

"I have a 5hp 4 stroke. The mo

"I have a 5hp 4 stroke. The motor starts and runs fine, but when you increase the throttle it flattens out and will not increase rpm."

"Good guess, but the running p

"Good guess, but the running problem occurs even in neutral."

Back