Logo

Will a b18 block bolt into the aq100 housing

Boat Rat

I recently picked up a old Larson with a bb70 engine and a aq100 drive. I found a b18 auto block and want to strip it down and dress it back up with my components. will the bolt pattern on housing match up?

I'd not spend one dime on anything that old...... and believe me, I have faith in the Volvo Penta.... but not this old.
Future parts sourcing will be your issue.

The Volvo Penta stuff does not wear out.... but the boats wear out around them.
You could probably pick up an engine/drive donor boat with a good OHC 4 and complete drive, for pennies.
You don't even need anything newer than a 250 drive.

I know.... not what you wanted to hear, right?

No not really but I do restorations as a kick every few years. Thanks for your opinion but I have found a fully dressed b18 block that runs for $100 out of a old volvo. Swapping the engine is a weekend. i just want to know will it bolt in simple as that. Now is the bolt pattern the same? I got the boat and trailer for free. I have not spent a penny yet so if I put a nickel into it what is my exposure IMG00029-20110306-1104.jpg

Last edited:
I'm about 90% sure bellhousing bolt patterns are different between the B16 and the later B18/B20 volvo blocks

also the front timing cover on the auto motor won't have the drive for the seawater pump and I don't think the B16 cover/drive swaps over to the B18, unless your B16 has a belt driven water pump and could be retrofitted to the other motor

seems like a lot of farting around for 5 or 10 hp gain between engines

Last edited:
look for one of these :) I picked up this "Volvo Renta" according to the ad, for $300 with the 200 drive and a spare 250 drive all for $300
You should hear this. Tiny V8's sound so sweet.
n566834365_123231_9632.jpg

It is a bb70 block in the boat now and does have a belt driven pump however if the bolt patterns are different I do not want to as you say fart around with the housing. Looks like it is time to unfreeze engine and break it down... Has not been turned in 25 years. Thanks.

................ I got the boat and trailer for free. I have not spent a penny yet so if I put a nickel into it what is my exposure?
I suppose a lot of fun tinkering with it......, but ending up with an old technology engine/drive!

Your call! :D

Last edited:
Back