Logo

Will a 37250-ZV5-950AH work on a 2000 BF50

greyg8r

Hello,

My local shop has a new Honda Faria tachometer 32750-ZV5-950AH for a closeout price. My 2000 BF50 calls for a 37250-ZV5-823. Will the 950AH work on my engine? Thanks in advance.

It should work with a modification. I am posting a link to a similar issue that I responded to in the past.

The pre 2005 50's in some cases caused the tachometers to act erratically. The motor was essentially over driving the tach.

Honda used to send a tach with each 40 and 50 back then and the fix was to put a resistor, mentioned in link, in the circuit, padding down the voltage to the tach.

It worked well with the older tachs, but did not work very well with some of the aftermarket tach's - even though they said Honda on them.

The one you are looking at is a Faria with an hour meter. I have found that the resistor has always worked on that one for me. If it did not have the hour meter, it did not work. Neither Honda nor Faria could explain it to me....I just know it works.

Be sure to follow the instructions that come with the tach to set it to the proper setting for your year of motor.

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...-this-mystery&highlight=honda+tachometer+bf50

The discussion jumps around a bit, but does have a happy ending. The part number and picture of that resistor is in the link.

If you are electronically minded, some have purchased a 100 ohm resistor and connected it between the sender post and the ground post on the gauge. I hear it works too...but I have not tried it. I am not sure what wattage it should be, and I prefer to stick with standard parts, as long as they are available.

Thanks, I saw your posts about the resistor adapter. I am going to buy it and install it and post how it turned out for future searches. Thanks again. Richard

When you go to hook it up....look for about 4 or 5 wires coming off the wiring harness from the key switch. Normally there will be a grey, black/yellow, black/green, yellow/blue, and black leads connected with bullet connectors.

This is the place where you can insert the resistor leads into the grey lead and the other end into the black lead. The resistor should just plug in there, unless someone has modified it during installation of the motor.

Mike

Back