Logo

What am i doing wrong

brians84

New member
I have a 1974 johnson 9.9 hp. Put a new water pump in it reassembled and tested with muffled no water coming out. Took it apart ,inspected everything reassemble and still nothing, only this time let the motor run à little longer. Still nothing.T ook apart again and saw some melted rubber. Bought another impeller assembly installed and still nothing . Tried in a barrel and on the muffs could it just be cheap chinese crap?
 
Test in a bucket as Racer described. If the problem persists, you may have a bad water tube grommet. I fought this same issue on a 1979 9.9HP and an old salt named Joe Reeves, who was an OMC tech for decades, said these grommets deforming and restricting water flow was a common problem on the 9.9/15 engines. Previously I had removed and cleaned the exhaust covers and head cover, replaced the thermostat, and installed a new water pump and still had water flow problems. After following Joe's advice and replaced the water tube grommet I never had another problem.

You will replace #39 Part Num. 0324045 and the powerhead must be removed for this repair. You will also need #106 Powerhead Base Gasket when doing this work.

Also, it's a good idea to ditch the cheap chinesium parts and get an OEM water pump kit.

1790775201961.png
 
Back
Top