Logo

Weak Springs In Fuel Line Connector

Carlasdaddy

Contributing Member
The spring in the fuel side of my double-line connector is very weak. I changed the o-ring, but it still leaks fuel when connector is dis-connected from motor and tank cap is partially opened. How do you replace the spring in the connector?

I never had to change one in all these years.....something like 55 years, but I will take a look when I get out to the shop this afternoon.

Sure, it comes apart. Easy if you are serious enough about it to invest in the tool. richardsoutboardtools.com

Attachments

• fuel connector.jpg
    fuel connector.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 20
Please forgive my ignorance. When I started this thread, I hadn't looked at the connector recently. My connector has removable threaded connections on the inlet side. I believe you can just drive the front caps out from the back, replace necessary parts and reassemble in reverse order. I took a photo of my connector, but it won't upload when I tried to add it to this post.

Please forgive my ignorance. When I started this thread, I hadn't looked at the connector recently. My connector has removable threaded connections on the inlet side. I believe you can just drive the front caps out from the back, replace necessary parts and reassemble in reverse order. I took a photo of my connector, but it won't upload when I tried to add it to this post.

You are correct. Your connector is one of the very early ones with removeable fittings. Removing the fittings provides ample room to drive the innards out with an straight ordinary punch.

Yes, they came both ways. I have a couple of them here that were damaged by someone trying to take them apart. That's why I embrace wise/ prectical engineering.....
which seems to have been lost in recent years. Perhaps not lost, but mostly forgotten.

Back