Logo

Water pump change, 25hp 2 stroke 2004 Mercury

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone out there had instructions for changing the water pump on a 25hp 2 stroke 2004 Mercury serial number 0T823006?

I tried to follow the instructions by will941s that I found in a search of forums on iboats :

-----------------------------------------------
1. Put in forward, Remove the air resonator off the carb....8mm deep well socket, 2 bolts. Remove the starter, 2 bolts...10mm I believe. Disconnect the wire underneath the starter and remove it.
2. Coming through the bottem of the coweling is the shift rod, right beneath the carb. On the side of the cam holding the rod is a bolt, remove it..10mm. Slide the bolt side if the cam off with a flathead screwdriver...DON'T FORCE IT OR DAMAGE IT. Be gentle with it.
3. Slide the shift rod off the little steel pin that runs through the cam.
4. On the lower unit is 2 bolts on each side, and one on the top of the lower holding the annode in place. Remove them while you hold pressure on the lower unit. After this there is nothing else holding it in place.
5. Slide the Lower unit down. May have to tap it with a rubber hammer to break it lose. Remove the water pump cup (around the driveshaft) and replace the impellar. Add a little grease to new impellar and inside the cup to reduce friction when re-installing. Inspect all O-rings and gaskets in the water pump assembly for possible replacement. Re-install the new pump (make sure you re-install the waterpump key also).
6. Carefully raise the lower unit back in postion. Make sure the water inlet tube follows the canal by the exhaust tube so it will guide it's self back into the grommet. May have to spin the prop to make the drive shaft teeth align with the teeth in the powerhead while you steadily apply pressure. When it mates with the midsection, replace the mounting bolts. NO LOKTITE. re-intall the shift shaft to the cam and replace the re-intall the other parts.
---------------------------------------------

I was stopped at the first step because I cannot find a way to remove the "air resonator" off the front of the carb to get to the starter bolts.
I can't get a wrench or socket in between the housing to remove the bolts. Nor do I know what size to use.

http://oi57.tinypic.com/wmjf2t.jpg

http://oi57.tinypic.com/532rtf.jpg

http://oi61.tinypic.com/kaikat.jpg

Thanks,

You can use a 1/4" drive swivel socket. If you don't have one, use vise grips on a normal socket to break the bolts free, then remove by hand.

You can use a 1/4" drive swivel socket. If you don't have one, use vise grips on a normal socket to break the bolts free, then remove by hand.

Thank for the reply!

We tried both of those ideas. We can not get even a small socket in between the front lip of the housing and the plastic air resonator plate in front of the carb. The space is just too small. That is what I was trying to illustrate with the photos

Thank again

I don't think you need to remove the carb to drop the lower unit on your Mercury. You just need to reach into the lower cowling and remove the pin which connects your shift rod to shift linkage.

Correct, not removing the carb, itself.
Removing only the air resonator or plate in front of the carb, to then
Remove the starter, to then
Remove the pin which connects the shift rod to shift linkage.

I'm going to get a Low Profile Socket and hook up the grinder and see if that can get into the 1/2 inch space between the front lip of the housing and the plastic air resonator plate.

Thanks,

Back