Logo

water in oil 2 plugs on block left in all winter 1999 4.3

Joshua1983

I have a 99 tahoe with a 4.3 in it the two plugs on the block where left in all winter on accident. I started changing the oil and found alot of water in the oil. I ran it to warm it up and it ran great. What is the worsed case and best case in this situation. I would appreciate any input

Re: water in oil 2 plugs on block left in all winter

I started changing the oil and found alot of water in the oil.

Ayuh,... There is no best case,... You need a New block...

If there's water getting in the oil, the block cracked on the inside. Sometimes the block will crack only on the outside, and can be repaired/welded, etc. You can take it in to a boat mechanic and have them check for sure?

You'll probably need a new/rebuilt short block at the minimum. Pull the motor, then bolt all the items from your current motor, heads, exhaust and intake manifolds, etc. back on to the new short block.

Costs will vary depending on how much you pay for the block, plus all the labor pulling the motor, assembly and reinstall.

Good question by the Chief! If you drained the water put fresh oil and filter in and ran it. How much water did you get in the oil pan. If none (stranger things have happened) you may have gotten real lucky. Check that first before pulling anything.

Back