Logo

volvo sx slipping out of gear help 1996 5.0

rs71419

Need help with1996 cris craft with volvo penta 5.0 with sx outdrive.Last week outdrive slipped out of gear without warning or any sound.Was still able to move when engage into gear without giving any throttle.Did same in reverse.Already removed prop and inspected and looks good.Was told it may be engine coupler.Any other ideas ? and if it would be the coupler do i need to remove the engine or outdrive to get this replace?Thanks.

Re: volvo sx slipping out of gear help

I'd lay odds it's the coupler. Pop the outdrive off and take a look with a flashlight. Either the aluminum has been wiped out or the rubber has let go and most of the time you can see either. Are you double sure the prop is OK?

Re: volvo sx slipping out of gear help

Thanks for your replay.I checked the prop and couple other people seen it and its definitely good.If i remove outdrive will i be able to replace coupler without removing engine.And also is there any prev maintnance to be done while outdrive is out,any parts or gaskets that should be change out? Im new to this stuff so need some pro advice.

Back