Logo

Volvo penta fault code

MID: 128 - Engine
PID: 15 - ??? are you sure it's 15?
FMI: 5 - typically low signal or open circuit

Mark

Hi, we are having a different MID 128 code. It is PSID 112, FMI 3 and we can't find anything online about it. We suspect it is related to engine overheat and coolant high temp. based upon the engine overheating...

I have searched high and low for Volvo PSID information and haven't had much luck. The "P" stands for Proprietary. I have found other information on Volvo EFI systems but nothing specific to this code. The only way that I know of is to pull codes with a Rinda TechMate Pro scan tool or their Diacom PC software.

Mark

I have searched high and low for Volvo PSID information and haven't had much luck. The "P" stands for Proprietary. I have found other information on Volvo EFI systems but nothing specific to this code. The only way that I know of is to pull codes with a Rinda TechMate Pro scan tool or their Diacom PC software.

Mark
Thanks Mark. The mechanic is saying that no code is stored in the system. Would really like to know what it is/was before I finalize everything.

The J1587 protocol (MID/PID/FMI) is used when the fault is in the EVC system. Sometimes there will be a crossover list in the EGC Diagnostics Workshop Manual for your engine. This will allow you to convert to a DTC that might be covered in that manual, but sometimes you will need a copy of the EVC manual for your version. You need to know what version of EVC you have. Sometimes you will need to use a VODIA scan tool. I have found that Diacom can fall short when working on EVC.

The J1587 protocol (MID/PID/FMI) is used when the fault is in the EVC system. Sometimes there will be a crossover list in the EGC Diagnostics Workshop Manual for your engine. This will allow you to convert to a DTC that might be covered in that manual, but sometimes you will need a copy of the EVC manual for your version. You need to know what version of EVC you have. Sometimes you will need to use a VODIA scan tool. I have found that Diacom can fall short when working on EVC.
Very informative......good to know. I was on the hunt for EVC manuals for curiosity's sake but no luck.

Mark

Still can’t find anything on the internet to help me decode my engine fault! It’s just crazy that this info isn’t available! My fault code is MID: 128 PSID: 15 FMI: 5
I have a 2014 Cobalt 336 with twin V8 380 CE D engines. Volvo Penta EVC-E. Can anyone help?

Ok, I figured it out…128 is engine, 15 has to do with O2 sensors, 5 is low voltage or signal problem.
I replaced all 4 O2 sensors…two up stream and two down stream. Turned out to be one of the down stream sensors was defective at the tip ( sensor tip). The upstream and downstream are different part numbers and expensive from Volvo as all their parts are. I found them on eBay for way less. NO MORE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!

Ok, I figured it out…128 is engine, 15 has to do with O2 sensors, 5 is low voltage or signal problem.
I replaced all 4 O2 sensors…two up stream and two down stream. Turned out to be one of the down stream sensors was defective at the tip ( sensor tip). The upstream and downstream are different part numbers and expensive from Volvo as all their parts are. I found them on eBay for way less. NO MORE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!
I have a 2021 VP 350 CE with the identical fault code. Thanks for sharing. BTW where did you find the info? My dealer can't find PSID 15.

Back