Logo

vibration and loss of power at higher RPM

steven_p

Member
I'm having problems with my port engine (1985 Crusader 305ci). It idles ok, albeit a little rougher than normal, but relatively smooth. When I bring it up to RPM say over 2,500 it gets a vibration that feels like a slightly bent prop. Doesn't have near the power it used to either. I checked the prop and it looks unscathed. Furthermore if I rev the engine in neutral I can feel the vibration so it doesn't appear to be a running gear problem.

I just had the stbd repowered. Before the repower the port ran absolutely great. But now it's running like crap. I'm wondering if the mechanics stepped on something (pinched plug wire?) or got something wet (ignition?) while they were replacing the other engine. I plan to replace all spark plugs and wires tomorrow, maybe the coil too as it's old and see what I get as all of this is easy and due anyway. I have an extra carb I can try but this doesn't sound like a carb issue does it?

I know this isn't a lot of information to go on but you guys have always been very helpful and I was hoping that maybe you could suggest a few other things to check.
 
Last edited:
I would think it is a good idea to have a starting point before jumping on all kinds of exchanges. I think I would start looking into the spark plugs, cap, rotor and wires. Since you are experiencing the vibration whether in gear or not...it seems to rule out your running gear and if your are not running on all cylinders, ou may have found your vibration
 
Is it possible that the ignition wires may have gotten switched (two wires on the wrong plugs)? Easty to do. Run a check and see. It should be 18436572.

Jeff
 
I have a not completely off-topic question. If you put a timing light on each plug wire, one at a time of course, would the flashing light mean that the plug is firing OK?

Erich
 
I pulled all the plugs any didn't see anything out of the ordinary but I changed them anyway. Changed all the spark plug wires as well. Boat runs great now. I think my original suspicion that one of the mechanics somehow pinched a spark plug wire was right. Piece of cake.
 
Back
Top