Logo

Velvet Drive ATF Fluid loss

Dan Eagle

I'm looking for advice on troubleshooting a sporadic fluid loss from my starboard bw velvet drive (direct drive) transmission. Engines are crusader 350ci/ 270hp in a Mainship 36dc. I usually run about 50/50 each outing between 1000rpm (8knots) and 3000rpm (18knots). I only have 50 hours on the boat since I got it and the fluid loss is not substantial. The confusing part is that I can go 10 hours with no loss then suddenly 1/3 quart in a brief trip - this is not a steady leak kinda issue. I'm not experienced with these transmissions: are there connections I need to check first before questioning seals etc? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Have seen the same on my port trans. We might have a pin hole leak in the heat exchanger that leaks more at one time than the other. Not a problem IF one keeps a close watch on the fluid level (which is CRITICAL in these trannies. They only hold a few quarts of oil.)

Jeff

That won't work if the leak is in the trans cooler--it all goes out the back. It WILL, however, eliminate leaks in other locations (seals, hose connections, etc.) Good idea.

Jeff

Back