Logo

Trim & Tilt problem on 91 V6 200 HP Mariner

Keithm18

Regular Contributor
HI All.

I find myself in need of your assistance please.

I have a 91 200 HP V6 Mariner on my bowrider. This weekend the trim and tilt stared to act up. I have looked at my manual and can find pretty good information on the two wire, round motor setup.

I have the three wire, square motorsetup.

I have done some of the trouble shooting steps and can confirm that the switches at the front and on the motor are working.
I hear the solenoids click (Both of them and I can get an output voltage on both indiviually when pressing the up and down buttons.
I do not hear the trim motor though. So I believe this is the culprit.

I seem to have a short between the blue and green sections of the circuit. It's open on both (Green and Blue) to ground with a few ohms resistance which I believe to be correct.

Am I correct that the continuity I am picking up between the blue and green wire is the problem and indicates a short within the trim motor?

I also have a question on removing the trim motor from the rest of the motor. My manual indicates I should be able to do this without removing the whole trim and tilt unit, but I don't see how I get to the screw at the back, which is hidden and against the transom (No Jackplate fitted)
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to remove the trim motor without removing the whole trim and tilt assembly?

If I have to remove the whole assembly the manual seems to indicate that i should remove the bolts holding the motor to the transom from the one side of the motor to create the space to slide the trim and tilt assembly out. the manual shows no other significant support for the motor other than the two remaining transom mount bolts on the other side of the motor. Is this correct? i would think this is pretty risky.

Thanks as always for the input

Back