Logo

Swapping engines for Century Resorter - Can you?

jleer

We are evaluating a 1962 Century Resorter. The engine is a Gray Marine V8-170. It is out and dismantled with a crack in the block that apparently can not be fixed (mechanic says the location of the crack means that there will be a lot more trouble inside the motor). Another guy says they can now cut out the bad. That sounds questionable.

But we have a lead on another motor: Gray Marine V8-238. Can the original 170 HP be swapped out for the 238 hp? Or are there size differences and additional component changes required, and additional potential problems?

Also, I have been trying to locate knowledgeable, quality people who do this work (rebuild or replace) at reasonable rates. Another Resorter poster had used Portland Automotive here in New England last year, but Portland's number is disconnected. Ideas?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Attempts to repair a cast iron cylinder block will be futile. Don't waste your time or money!

I don't have the answer re; what engine this might be, but I see that the Rambler V-8s were used back then.
Unless you are trying to restore to original, I would go another route.

If the engine is a Rambler, and if it was fitted with a Borg Warner flywheel cover, you could go back in with almost any V-8 that is Borg Warner capable.

The 335 series Ford (289, 302 or 351) would be a good candidate, as well as the SBC.
Fit the new engine with a Borg Warner flywheel cover, and your transmission will bolt right up to it.

The exhaust system would need to be altered, but there are plenty of options out there.

Disclaimer: this would apply IF (key word "IF") the original engine is fitted with Borg Warner flywheel cover and a Borg Warner pattern transmission.

pictures would be very helpful.

Last edited:
We are evaluating a 1962 Century Resorter. The engine is a Gray Marine V8-170. It is out and dismantled with a crack in the block that apparently can not be fixed (mechanic says the location of the crack means that there will be a lot more trouble inside the motor). Another guy says they can now cut out the bad. That sounds questionable.

But we have a lead on another motor: Gray Marine V8-238. Can the original 170 HP be swapped out for the 238 hp? Or are there size differences and additional component changes required, and additional potential problems?

Also, I have been trying to locate knowledgeable, quality people who do this work (rebuild or replace) at reasonable rates. Another Resorter poster had used Portland Automotive here in New England last year, but Portland's number is disconnected. Ideas?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Hello, there are many Resorters out there with the Grey 327 238 hp, I have a 67 Resorter FGL 17 with a 238 I will rebuild over the winter. I bought it as a project in kit form;) boat and all. Not sure which Resorter you have, things to consider are if both engines are flywheel forward or flywheel back toward transmission, and installed height. The 238 with the down draft carb will be a bit taller than your side draft. Anyway, all those V8's were the same basic block with either 250 or 327 bore. depending on set up, the 250 ci ranged from 135hp to 178hp and the 327 ranged from 188-238. Prop will need to be changed.

I'm looking for a starboard exhaust manifold and the port elbow. Manifold parts should exchange, and I'd be interested in your leftover parts. If you decide not to go with that 238, i'd appreciate the lead, may be less frustration than the total rebuild...

Last edited:
Back