Logo

susuki df20a All of a sudden lost power

pickerjr12

Was running great and then all of a sudden it lost power. Starts fine but when you try to rev it up it spits and sputters. It will all of a sudden rev up to full speed and run for a few seconds and then bog down again. like it is starved for fuel. please help

Any codes shown? Sounds like the Fail Safe System is activating on you. Low oil pressure will cause the engine to limit spark reducing rpms to 1000rpm and automatically shut down after 3 minutes. Hows the oil level? I think low oil pressure is the only condition that limits revs to 1000rpms, the rest of the codes limit revs to 3000rpms and the less serious codes don’t limit revs

I am having a similar issue, so maybe we can find a solution together. I have a Suzuki 2021 DF25A tiller model that I purchased new from onlineoutboards. The motor has maybe 10 - 15 hours on it at this point. I brought it in late Summer of last year. Our local dealer replaced the water pump saying it wasn't cooling properly and that the engine was going in to "limp" mode because of this. Well, shame on me for never getting back on the boat after it was "fixed" last year. Had it out this past week and has the exact same problem, so nothing was fixed.

Hoping someone can point me in the direction of getting this repaired. I read in another forum that it could be a bad "Neutral Throttle Switch." I will probably buy the part and swap it out to see if that fixes the issues. My symptoms are roughly the same as the OP's. Starts fine, first or second pull always. Idles nice, you can rev up and get on plane for a few seconds and then it will start to sputter and the revs are limited. I can't get any more than about 1/3 throttle.

Any ideas?

I am having a similar issue, so maybe we can find a solution together. I have a Suzuki 2021 DF25A tiller model that I purchased new from onlineoutboards. The motor has maybe 10 - 15 hours on it at this point. I brought it in late Summer of last year. Our local dealer replaced the water pump saying it wasn't cooling properly and that the engine was going in to "limp" mode because of this. Well, shame on me for never getting back on the boat after it was "fixed" last year. Had it out this past week and has the exact same problem, so nothing was fixed.

Hoping someone can point me in the direction of getting this repaired. I read in another forum that it could be a bad "Neutral Throttle Switch." I will probably buy the part and swap it out to see if that fixes the issues. My symptoms are roughly the same as the OP's. Starts fine, first or second pull always. Idles nice, you can rev up and get on plane for a few seconds and then it will start to sputter and the revs are limited. I can't get any more than about 1/3 throttle.

Any ideas?
You should be covered under warranty?

You should be covered under warranty?
I would think so. The dealer I brought to for repair said that in the case of the water pump, that is considered a common wear part and not covered. Even though it was essentially brand new. I think they only charged me $250 to do it including parts so I wasn't real concerned about it. The issue now being that the original water pump probably wasn't even bad.

I can see them not covering a water pump under warranty but since they already replaced it you should back under warranty for subsequent repairs.

Back