Logo

Steering very stiff

Randile49

I have a 1994 Bayliner Capri. I just put a 115 Evinrude on it. I have replaced the steering cable and I can barely turn the steering wheel. Any suggestions?

What year is the Evinrude ?----Model # is ?----No doubt used in salty water I think.-----Some heat on pivot shaft and greasing fittings may help.

Do you plan to do your own work on this specialized motor ?----Is there a dealer ( Needhams ? ) that is willing to work on this machine ?

You will need the manual , laptop and diagnostic program.----And cable to hook up to the motor.-----This is a 2 stroke motor.-----It has a lube system controlled by the ECU.------You can NOT run this motor on 50:1 mixed in your tank !

You will need the manual , laptop and diagnostic program.----And cable to hook up to the motor.-----This is a 2 stroke motor.-----It has a lube system controlled by the ECU.------You can NOT run this motor on 50:1 mixed in your tank !

So I was mistaken. The steering cable was not replaced. I removed the nut on the steering arm and the motor turns easily. I am going to try to grease the cable via the grease nipple today and see if that makes a difference.

if the wheel turns easy with the steering arm disconnected, the cable may be okay...I've found many times, you have to remove the cable from the engine's mount and clean the tube the cable end travels back and forth in...a bore brush kit, a drill, and some pb blaster along with some rags is usually enough...

if the wheel turns easy with the steering arm disconnected, the cable may be okay...I've found many times, you have to remove the cable from the engine's mount and clean the tube the cable end travels back and forth in...a bore brush kit, a drill, and some pb blaster along with some rags is usually enough...

Is it fairly easy to get the cable out for f the tube? I greased the tube thru the nipples and it seems to turn a little easier

Back