Logo

Starter motor

I have a 2000 200 hp J200vxsss I’ve had her for 7 yrs, last season I started having some hard starting issues. Im getting ready to troubleshoot the ignition system I figured I would start and see if the starter was turning flywheel fast enough, got a cheap o Amazon special laser tachometer and I’m only getting 200 rpm. The batteries were new last season and kept on a tender, all connections at batteries,solenoid and starter were sanded clean. I got 11.5v at battery while cranking and 11 v at starter. I connected jumper cable from + on battery directly to starter and still 200 rpms, I also tried with both batteries on and same results. Is there another test before I buy a new starter? Thanks

Thanks, I’m pretty intimidated by taking it apart, what should I be looking for, ie. worn brushes. Can I get parts? I should mention that the bottom of the starter is a bit corroded afraid it will not go back together

What other trouble shooting have you done if any ?----Pushing the key in and holding it in while cranking it over ?----Tested the primer solenoid valve ?----Done a compression test ?----You have installed a new water pump impeller every 5 years I hope.

Not much yet still winter around here, my starting procedure has worked great for 6 years only had troubles last year. Primer worked when I put her to bed in November, ball hard airbox removed and could see fuel squirt in all 6 carburetors, new water pump every 2 yrs, haven’t done comp test since beginning of last season plan on doing it again, I’ve been doing it with all plugs removed and motor cold please correct me if I’m wrong

Starters are easy in my opinion.-----Nothing magic about them.--------But do the following steps.-----Have your battery fully charged AND load tested.-----Leave sparkplugs in the engine.----Crank over the engine.-----Does spark jump a gap of at least 3/8" ( 1 cm ) on a testing device ??

So for s—-s and giggles I stopped by the local marine consignment shop and they had a really clean looking used starter for my motor so I bought it, installed, brought batteries to auto zone for load test— passed. Now I’m getting 250rpms while cranking. Checked for spark on all 6 and I am getting spark at 3/8 and 7/16 gap, I just don’t have a reference if it’s a “ strong blue spark with a real snap” as I have read multiple times in the past. Also compression is 120 for bottom two and 115 for the other 4

I’m sure it will start and I prob will fire it up tomorrow, I’m trying to figure why after 6 yrs it’s become difficult to start, maybe it was the starter after all

Test the starting and report.----Push the key in and hold it in while cranking.-----Many folks are unaware of the importance of fast cranking for these motors to start right up.----And most folks are unaware about how easily these starters are damaged by too much / prolonged cranking.

Had some time this morning to start it up, pulled fuel line at the vro pumped ball to make sure clean fuel and got a lot of oil until just clean gas,put muffs on turned battery on, pumped ball, while I was pumping ball with cowl off I saw fuel squirting from vro between the oiler and fuel side. Had someone pump ball so I could see exactly where the leak was but the ball was hard and no more leak. Decided to start anyway with my same procedure. Turn key on until beep and lights go off , no advance of the throttle, turn key to start count to three then push primer count to three and fire for a second, then key again no primer and she fires, all is well except vro leak

Back