Logo

stalls out

xdocz

Having trouble with my port side 1989 454 with rochester qjet and delco est Engine starts just fine and runs at idle until warming up then stalls. restarts right away an stalls again immediately. Have replaced ignition coil, ignition module, pickup coil, wires and plugs and retimed. Have replaced qjet with reman from marineengines.com, and still stalls. Have replaced fuel pump, and still stalls. Rebuilt original qjet and reinstalled and still stalls on warmup. Stbd engine runs just fine, and both are fed from 300 gal belly tank on silverton 34c. Am ready to pull my hair out can someone shed some light on this?

missed the cap and rotor (?) might as well get them so the iginiton system is all fresh.

sounds like ignition and not fuel. Crusader sometimes put ballast resistors in the primary feed; may wanna change it if installed. Other than that, I'd take a timing light check for spark while it warms up. If the ignition is failing, the light will stop flashing.

When it starts and then quits it makes me think the carb is running out of gas. Have you changed all the filters in the fuel to the port engine? On my quadrajet there is a fuel filter screen in the inlet. Maybe this is fouled. I suggest you take off the flame arrester and disconnect the throttle cable from the carb and start it. You may want to have a fire extinguisher close by. If the engine begins to stop, pump the throttle at the carb and listen for a squirt of gasoline from the accelerator pump. If you don't hear any you are starved for gasoline at the carb. If you hear the squirt of gasoline and it doesn't come back to life then you may have electrical problems as suggested by Mark.

Good Luck,
Chuck Hanson

Chuck:

That was my first thought so i reread and it start back up right away (didn't say anything about a lot of cranking).

So I went an reread it again, after your post.....after a couple more times, maybe the choke isn't opening up fully (not carb mounted so hasn't been changed)???

forgot to mention new cap and rotor. starts again on first crank,filter on carb replaced, new remote mounted fuel/h20 sep also. where is ballast resistor located , does not list on my parts manual or service manual for delco est ignition

also r&r the spring coil choke mounted on intake manifold next to carb will purchase inline spark tester to test all wires and plugs to see if plug and or wire bad thank you all for your advice and help with this problem

Last edited:
doc,

I had a similar problem when I first purchased a 1990 34C Silverton where it would start and run Ok for about an hour and then start backfiring, stallling, etc. After doing a complete tuneup (wires, plugs, cap, rotor) and replacing the fuel pump and all filters a few times, the problem continued until I found out about the anti-siphon valve that is located on the top of the fuel line pickup tube. Removed it and cleaned it with carb and choke cleaner. Problem never returned.

Good luck with yours!

Erich

You changed the choke coil? ok, but did you adjust it?

Erich's point also has merit. You can easily test this by temporarily Tee'ing a vacuum gauge into the fuel line, before the fuel pump. If the anti-syphon valve freezes up (shuts off the fuel flow) the vacuum gauge will go to MAX Vacuum.

Back