Logo

Stalling on take off

I got a 1996 Faststrike 150. J150gledb Recently got it back from shop because the rectifier flamed out. Rectifier stator power pack and coils replaced. Only had it out a couple times now but yesterday it did something weird. A few times right as the boat is on pad and start trimming up the motor would stall. Just like the kill switch was pulled. Always started right back up. I figured out it’s something with the shifter or the sensor on the shift cables at the motor. Sometimes it wouldn’t start until I wiggled the shifter. Crank but not start. Or trim until shifter was moved forward and back to neutral. Any idea?

Maybe gotta call the shop and see if what they did could cause this..... especially if you didn't have these symptoms before. Why did the rectifier "flame out"? Don't point a finger at them, but just inquire. For me, it's a tough call.....could be a bad ignition switch. Does the motor crank with kill switch activated?

Last edited:
Not really sure why rectifier let the smoke out other than it was time. I pulled the shifter handle to look for some chaffed wires and found nothing up to the connector. I put the shifter back on and now it will not crank over. If I short the neutral safety switch wires together it will crank but no fire. I had an old ignition switch and I put it in, no bueno. Not really sure what’s going on If the neutral switch is not shorted I have nothing energizing the starter solenoid. I’m sure it’s something simple but I haven’t found it yet. Thanks for the reply.

Well after poking and prodding i brought my spark tester from work. No fire or at times just a little. Bought a new ignition switch but no change. After looking I found a few issues left from the boat shop. 1 the connector rod between port and starboard carbs was bent and at “WOT” position it was jamming against the trim relay mount. Then I noticed the optical sensor was OLD. Everything ignition/charging wise is new. Why not replace that? 3000.00 in parts and labor and they didn’t replace a 60.00 part? Well I ordered one from here and had it overnighted. Just slapped it on and BAM she fired right up. Still not sure about stalling while trimming but I know electrical stuff can do weird stuff. I guess I’ll find out this weekend. Thanks for the input.

Back