Logo

Sport Jet 120XR losing power at cruise speed

bustedstuff

I have a 1997 Sport Jet 120 XR in a Sea Rayder F14 that is giving me fits. The engine starts and idles fine as well as charges the battery well. The stator was replaced by the dealer in 2006 when it would not run. I have cleaned the carbs and am sure that I have good fuel flow and fresh fuel. The engine will run well at slow speed but after climbing onto plane the engine will begin to die back and lose power then surge forward every few seconds with the problem getting worse as the throttle is advanced. At WOT the engine will shut off after 5 to 10 seconds. It will restart again easily.

What should I check next?

I have cleaned the carbs and am sure that I have good fuel flow and fresh fuel....after climbing onto plane the engine will begin to die back and lose power then surge forward every few seconds with the problem getting worse as the throttle is advanced. At WOT the engine will shut off after 5 to 10 seconds.

It sounds like a plugged fuel filter and/or dying fuel pump. Rebuild the pump.

Rebuilding the fuel pump and replacing the water separator/filter were the first things that I did since it sounded like a fuel supply problem.
Any other options?

Check the fuel tank vent line for a low spot filling w/fuel, a kink in the hose or spider nest in the vent. If all is good then verify the fuel pump is functioning. Temporarily use a clear hose on the output.

Update:
Fuel supply was fine. Took boat for a test run to finalize the carb adjustments and the engine threw a rod!

Anybody got any suggestions for me now?

Will a newer fuel injected motor fit? Are repair parts available?

Back