Logo

Spark plug/ gap test questions

IBSLACKEN

I tested the spark gap of a 1/2" and see spark on all 3 but can't tell if it's going the whole 1/2" is that good enough or does it have to go the whole 1/2"
Also, the plugs suggested fir my outboard (L77JC4)are 03 gap but the manual says 04 gap should I make the gap on those plugs 04 or leave them at 03 gap, any help would be appreciated

I tested the spark gap of a 1/2" and see spark on all 3 but can't tell if it's going the whole 1/2" is that good enough or does it have to go the whole 1/2"
Also, the plugs suggested fir my outboard (L77JC4)are 03 gap but the manual says 04 gap should I make the gap on those plugs 04 or leave them at 03 gap, any help would be appreciated

It is impossible to only go part way

Last edited:
After thinking about it, I wonder if that was a true statement. There would be ionized air some millionth of a second before the arc but I am amazed you could see it. What kind of spark checker are you using? What say you, Electrical Engineers?

Huh? I'm no electrical engineer and just using a cheapo tester and a video camera
And reading glasses and a magnifying glass

Back