Logo

Sounds like slippage on accecleration

mjunior16

I have a 1999 125hp mercury th

I have a 1999 125hp mercury that just started slipping in gear and has lost reverse. Looks like a collar around the base near the prop has been damaged and cracked. Whats it gonna take to resolve the issue.

"Mike,

It does not sound go

"Mike,

It does not sound good. You probably need to rebuild, or replace the lower with a factory rebuilt unit.

Tony"

I kinda had that feeling!! Th

I kinda had that feeling!! Thanks Tony! I do all of my own vehicle work with the proper tools and of course the Haynes manual. Is it at all reasonable for me to try and fix it with the proper repair manual?? Or should I take it to the shop and pay for the repairs.

"Mike,

It sounds like the b

"Mike,

It sounds like the bearing carrier is the cracked part. That alone will cost about $150. A complete seal kit is probably about $60.00. The gear set is probaly $400.00-500.00. Until you take it apart you won't know the extent of the damage.

You could price a rebuilt unit at www.obrparts.com.

Tony"

"Tony, I took apart the lower

"Tony, I took apart the lower unit and the bearing retainer appears to be broke. Its the part that is about the size of a coke can and looks like it holds everything in place. The reverse gear looks good it has three minor nicks, but no brass or metal shavings in the bottom of the gear case. The next step we are going to pull the whole lower unit off, because the driveshaft is unattached and we were told it should remain in place. Do you have the ability to get parts and also we are looking to get a new trailer built for the boat. Our budget is about 1500.00 for repairs and the trailer being built. Is this realistic?"

Back