Logo

Should the boat overhang the trailer bunks or not?

wc135b

I bought a boat 2 years ago and leave it in the water during the week when I'm not at the lake. Each time I checked the boat the bilge would be full of water. I finally found the leaks which were cracks just behind the transom welds. I've had the cracks repaired, so fingers crossed. One web site says it's OK to overhang the bunks by 1 to 12 inches. Others say its best to be full on. I lean to the full on also now. Currently it's close to a 1-inch overhang, depending on how it comes out of the water. I'll be installing a new front winch post to fix previous owners' jury-rigged homemade post that doesn't correctly aline the winch and bow roller. I may have to make new bunks for the trailer to fit the new front post as I think the boat will need to move back. I want to get it right the first time. What's everyone's thoughts on bunk to boat placement? I'm thinking support the hull and transom.

My boat sits flush with the bunks. Was set up that way from the dealer. Can’t see any issues if the bunks where slightly longer than the transom and stuck out past the transom giving you full support for the transom.

I don't know when the boat cracked at the hull to transom interface. Guy I bought it from had it his garage for 5yrs according to him. He brought it from Washington State to Missoula Mt. No telling how he treated it, but when I went through the boat prior to putting it in the water I found plenty of minor issues, mostly servicing. I only have to go 6 miles to launch it into Flathead Lake.

Back