Logo

Serial Number on motor doesn't match service manual numbers

Buickboy

G'day folks,

I'm new to the forum so this is my first post.

I have a 200 HP, 1986 Mariner outboard motor that has some loss of power issues, so I'm referring to my service manual. Here's the problem .....

On the general specifications page, it sites different s/n series for the 200 HP models. For the V200 model S/N 6201969 and below and for the V200 model S/N 6201970 and above.

My problem is the serial # on my motor is S/N A943736. What's up with this ? Do I have the wrong manual or Am I not reading the serial @ # on my motor in the right place ?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide. Once this issue is solved, I can then go on to try and solve my loss of power problem.

Buickboy

Part way through the 1985 model year Merc switched from all numeric serial (production) numbers to alpha-numeric numbers.

So in your manual it's separating the models by those built before about mid 1982 (6201969 and below) and those built "after" the mid point of 1982 (6201970 and above) which would tend to include those built in mid 85 and and later - at least until there was another model change requiring a different manual.

Back