Logo

Seeking Advice on Nissan NSF9.8A3, Electric Start, 15" Shaft, Purchased New In 2008

dstan9615

Let me start off to say, "this is an absolutely wonderful forum". I can't even begin to convey how much I have learned from the experts here that so kindly share their time, insights and extensive knowledge. I used to be of the opinion that a 4-stroke was a 4-stroke no matter what form it took and that maintenance in general was minimal. I have come to the realization that nothing could be further from the truth when it comes to outboard motors. I am very thankful for what I have learned here.

I'm seeking advice on a Nissan NSF9.8A3 Electric Start that I purchased new in 2008 and aside from an initial look to verify the contents has never been put into use or, for that matter even started. This motor will be used on a small bass boat, (BassTender 11.3), and I'm hoping it will be powerful enough put the boat on plane. The boat itself weighs approximately 250 lbs and was designed with a planing hull. With regards to the motor my understandings are as follows:

Do not use synthetic oil and use only an FC-W rated 4-Stroke Oil. (The Tohatsu 10W30 appears to be a synthetic blend?)

Do not fill the crankcase beyond the 1/2 mark on the dip stick especially during Break-In, and no more than 3/4 thereafter.

Do follow the Break-In procedure religiously.

Do change both the Crankcase and Lower Unit oils after the 10 hour Break-In procedure is completed, and again at 20 hours per the maintenance schedule.

Do run the carburetor dry after using the outboard and drain the bowl if possible.

Do use a water separator filter. Looking at the Unikas UF-10K. Mounting sequence: Priming bulb--Unikas UF-10--Engine.

Post Break-In, Do "Run It Like You Stole It".

Additional Concerns:

The Lower Unit Oil is 8 years old I feel it should be replaced prior to running the motor?

The Impeller is 8 years old should it be replaced prior to running the motor?

Your comments on anything I may have gotten wrong or missed are very much appreciated.

As an additional note I did contact an authorized dealer who indicated he could do an initial inspection/service for $85.00 and may be able to get the factory to extend the warranty in the process since the motor is functionally new in the box. Seems worth it. The dealer seemed very knowledgeable.

Thanks to all very much in advance.

fire it up,Oil in l/u is still new,never been used,go for it.same with impeller,run in test tank first to check impeller function and temp on motor. I feel you have the bases pretty well covered..

Back