Logo

Running Problems - 2003 Mercury 15ML

Garrett0123R

Hi, I recently purchased a 2003 Mercury 2 stroke (International) 15hp (15ML) which has been sitting up for a few years. Cleaned the carburetor and it starts right up. Put new spark plugs, and new foot oil. It starts and idle's fine. Rev's up in neutral with ease. I put it on the water and it ran good for a while. It then started bogging down like the carb jets were getting clogged. I then took apart the carb and cleaned it very well. Put the carb back together and ran perfect for about 10 seconds and now back to running poorly. What should I Do? Can It still be a fuel problem? I cleaned the carb and all the fuel lines plus the fuel filter.

Sometimes I can get the motor to run hard enough to get on top and then it sputters and slows by itself. I can have the throttle wide open and although it stays running it like the motor is in turtle mode.

Can this be related to the coil by chance?

Carb probably needs to be rebuilt get the complete gasket set for it that has the fuel pump and primer. Not enough to just clean it. My advice is for the mercury built 15 hp if yours is tohatsu will need seperate fuel pump and carb kits

Carb probably needs to be rebuilt get the complete gasket set for it that has the fuel pump and primer. Not enough to just clean it. My advice is for the mercury built 15 hp if yours is tohatsu will need seperate fuel pump and carb kits

Thank you flyingscott...
The Carburetor is actually a Teikei (TK) Carburetor. I'm considering purchasing the gaskets and diaphragms along with the other items circled red - See attachment.
Should i need anything else?

carb.jpg

looks like tohatsu built I did not know the fuel pump was in the carb on those good to know. You might be able to get the whole kit as one piece. On this website click on mercury and put in your serial# and your motor should pop up. Then find the carb assembly and see whats available.

I have never seen one of these.

In Canada we had the (typical) 15 horse 2 stroke up until 2012 when it was totally discontinued - so it was the jug head built by Yami (for Merc only) with the Walbro carbs etc.

What does your serial number start with on that model? is it one of those starting 0Rxxxxx (???)

I have never seen one of these.

In Canada we had the (typical) 15 horse 2 stroke up until 2012 when it was totally discontinued - so it was the jug head built by Yami (for Merc only) with the Walbro carbs etc.

What does your serial number start with on that model? is it one of those starting 0Rxxxxx (???)

Serial/model # is 0N023708
THanks

Back