Logo

Reverse Cut Gear

jumpin

Can anyone tell me if I need a distributor with a reverse cut gear for my Port 1987 454 Crusader. It is the motor with the firing order that statrs 1,8 and so on. I think some folks call it a standard rotating motor and some call it a left hand rotating motor. Thanks---- Update, went back to boat and pulled the Starboard distributor out and it has the same gear on the end as the Port. Could someone explain how the motor that rotatesin a different direction rotates the rotor in the same direction as the Starboard motor? I am sure there is an easy explanation for it, but I have not figured it out. When i bought the new distributor for the Port motor they asked me if it rotated opposite from the Starboard motor, I said yes and thy told me I needed a reverse cut gear on the distributor. It is the opposite rotation as the one I took out!

Last edited:
My understanding all standard and counter rotating engines use the same distributer. GM oil pumps run off the distributer shaft so they have to turn the correct direction to pump oil. THe gear on the camshaft is the same, they change the lobes to match the different firing order. THe distributer gear listed in the parts manual is for both rotation. Some boats came with reverse rotation transmissions, then you would have 2 standard engines but different trans for counter rotating the props

The distributor is the same for both LH & RH Mark IV BBC. Mates with similar gears on either camshafts which both turn in a LH convention. This is done on the RH engine by having a gear drive vs a chain drive like the LH (conventional) setup.

I'd find another source of supply...

Back