Logo

Repower engine rotation

1952case

I'm repowering a from a 307 to a 350 and changing engine rotation from a right hand to a left hand, other than the starter, what else needs changing. ie prop, transmssion. It has a borg warner velvet drive 1-1.

The pump housing on the gear needs to be "rotated" ~ 180 degrees; that will make the gear happy with the LH engine. If the engine is complete, the distributor should already be rewired (firing order goes opposite).

You should also get the ring gear on the flywheel switched to match the starter. I think the last item is to replace the raw water impeller and install it so it spins in the 'correct' direction. The hoses to it will also have to be swapped - what was inlet will now be outlet.

If the 350 is complete, it should have the correct timing tab. If not, a 'standard could be added or you could have the flywheel remarked (if needed).

Mark; For the LH vs RH. Does the number of teeth on the ring change or the bevel side or ?? Typically a different part no?

I'm pretty sure the teeth count does not change but the beveled side of each tooth, on the ring gear, does change. If i'm wrong, it would still be worth checking before putting it all together and then finding an issue with the starter.

Either I got LUCKY and ordered the correct part when we re-did the damper last July or IF IF IF I remember correctly, the teeth on the ring gear were pretty square and the starter gear had a slight bevel...

Or, possibly the multi-focal contacts I wear suck more than I think

Al wins!

The response made me look it up - no difference in the flywheel's ring gear, only the starter's gear has the bevel that shifts with rotation. Maybe it was the wear pattern I remember.....or maybe I'm just getting old.

Is rotating the hydraulic pump in my borg warner transmission something I can do (back yard mechanic) or should I bring it to a pro? Also, just to clarify, it sounds like I can keep my right hand propeller, the transmission out put wont change???

THere are about 4 bolts holding on the front pump assembly. Its a very easy job. I would recommend you get a new O ring (might be a square ring), and go ahead and replace the input shaft oil seal. Keep the oil gear relationships. So basically, just rotate the housing 180 degrees and rebolt.

The pump housing has two arrows on it. the one that matches the engine's rotation needs to be on top. If you get it wrong, it won't shift into either gear. Dave's recommendations are sound.

No, you have to get a left handed prop to match the left handed engine....much easier than trying to find a left handed smoke shifter.

Thanks to paul of Miss Nancy for sending me the manual in pdf. Looks easy. ha ha ha the notes in the manual for this unit indicates the output shaft will remain right handed. Can anyone confirm? Thanks, Its good to do your homework!

On a 1 to 1 BW, the output shaft always turns the same direction as the input, when in forward. So, if the engine is forcing you to change the oil pump position on the transmission, then you will need the other hand propellor.

Back