Logo

Raw Water Pump or Impeller Housing Leaking 2007 5.0L

jgdusek

Hi,

I have a 2007 Chaparral 280 Signature with dual 5.0 Volvo Penta GXI motors. The port motor had a small water leak around the impeller housing so I have replaced the impeller but the water leak still remains. The only things in the replacement impeller kit were two O rings, one for gas and one for diesel motors. I have read on other forums about a different type of seal that may need to be replaced but I'm not sure where to find it and get to it. Do I need to remove something else to find it? All help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gunther

Re: Raw Water Pump or Impeller Housing Leaking

Is this pump crank shaft mounted and does it have the drive belt pulleys attached to it? If so it is easier to change the whole pump.

The engines are serpentine belt driven. The raw water pumps are at the bottom of the engines turned by the lowest point of the serpentine belt. I'm looking at this part from Volvo Penta ( http://www.jmsonline.net/volvo-penta-sealing-ring-827247.htm ). I've seen some threads on other forums where people have replaced this seal and it has stopped their leak. A new raw water pump is going to cost between $300 - $400, not including installation, but I could probably do it myself.

Thanks,
Gunther

Simple pump replacement, costs around $300. The inner pump seal is probably leaking and generally it cannot be rebuilt. 3 hex bolts- 8mm. Use a 3/8 drive and take care breaking so you don't shear off but they are at least grade 8 bolts so you should be okay. I usually pour some glycerin into the housing as I turn the pump to saturate the impeller before I install the pump. Should take you less than 30 minutes to remove the belt and replace the pump.

Thanks for the reply. I've replaced water pumps on cars and the raw water pump looks easier to get to than most car water pumps.

Back