Logo

Rattling sound 1984 Evinrude 50hp

Bailey_B

I’m a novice with outboards but enjoy tinkering if pointed in the right direction. Cruising back to the launch last Fall going about 3/4 full speed and all of a sudden loud rattling sound occurred. Fired it up back at home. First video: Idle shows rattling at idle. Second video: Low RPM seems to make the rattle go away when running on low RPM. Any ideas?

130psi top cylinder, 100psi bottom cylinder. As for the gear oil, oil was replaced in fall before winterization and is slightly milky already.

Took cylinder head off, bottom piston has some play in it. Bottom piston’s top dead center position is about 1/16” less than top cylinder. When I jimmy the flywheel back and forth when the bottom cylinder is in TDC I can hear slight clanking. Top cylinder in TDC looks and sounds good. Something messed up with the bottom cylinder connecting rod?

Lots of good parts on " fleabay " I think/----Might need a crankshaft and a con rod.------But also inspect gears in lower unit.-----Lower units are not robust on these,----Be a shame to repair powerhead only to find issues in lower unit.----Likely needs seal kit and new impeller.

Back