Logo

Priming oil pump on a brand new rebuilt shortblock 1996 4.3 L

mpt

Contributing Member
My brand new engine rebuilt short block is a '96 V6 4.3 ltr Chevy Marine /Volvo/OMC with the stamped steel oil pan.
The oil pressure gauge reads a steady 40 lbs when turning the oil pump rod with a power drill. I still can't get any oil to squirt out of the rockers? Keep in mind that I am performing this step without the intake manifold.There is a steady flow of oil coming out of a port inside the distributor hole that shoots up out of the distributor hole and into the lifter valley between the heads. I've turned the crank 1/4 turn at times and still no results. Even before first attempt, I only snugged the hydraulic lifters down. Then later I went ahead and torqued them to factory specs of 40lbs. I still got no results! Should I install the distributor to re-direct the flow? How would I be able to turn pump then? Install intake manifold? Could I be rotating pump in the wrong direction? I washed and blew out all push rod holes even, maybe lifters might be plugged up?

By '96 this was no longer OMC.... pure Volvo Penta by then..... not that this matters!
The distributor will rotate CW, thus the oil pump rotates same, and would be the same as though operating a standard drill bit.
The 'el cheap'o primer tools usually work just fine, although I have never used one. My tool is a machined down OEM distributor (housing and all)..... gear machined away, top guts removed, with just the shaft protruding.
Turning the crankshaft (while priming) usually allows for eventual oil flow at the cam follower oil galleys.
New cam followers should not be plugged up, and should flow freely.
New or cleaned push rods should not be suspect.

Suspect areas:
Omitted rear cam bearing.
Omitted cam follower oil galley plug on one side. Could be rear, could be front.
Rear would reveal an external leak.... front would leak within the timing chain cover.

The oil squirting up at the primer tool is normally directed at the distributor body when installed. The fact that you're getting 40psi would seem to mean that all else is OK. Not sure what else to suggest here.

BTW, statically setting your cam followers, while the intake has yet to be installed, is a plus, IMO.

In my years of assembling 4 stroke motors,the only priority was establishing oil pressure[motor in place,fully assembled,oil filter pre-filled with oil,sparkplugs out,rocker covers on[so when you filled it with oil,the rockers were lubricated],good battery,and coil disconnected.turned over with starter till oil pressure shows,then plugs in,coil reconnected,by then the fuel should have filled the carbie,and it should go.the lifters will clatter,but will settle down.then if you can get it to idle,go thru the hyd lifter set up,backing off till clatter,then tightening down till clatter stops,keep tightening slowly till about 3/4 of a turn more after clatter stops,that should centralise the lifter piston.by then you should see oil pumping up.the fact that the hydraulic lifters pump up is proof everythings ok.the odd occasion,have used a sludge gun to prime the oil galleried thru the oil pressure sender unit hole.you can also buy that engine assembly lubricant,usually in a tube,specifically for engine assembly work.helps to lubricate things until the oil arrives.hope that is some help

You're not going to get oil to the top end if the distributor is not installed in the engine. The oil comes up the back side of the engine from the filter and goes to two places, the left bank of lifters and to the distributor where it then goes to the right bank of lifters. Without the distributor housing (that is what the rounded cavity in the bearing surface is for) you won't be getting any pressure and definitely no oil to the right side.

Chris, interesting thought.... and good catch!
Like said earlier, I've only use a modified SBC Distributor for this in the past..... never had any issues.... possibly due to what you mention.

I found this image via Google search.....
This is very similar to the ones that I've made over the years.

Note the comment regarding the lower groove.

IMG_3222-OilPumpTool.jpg

The El Cheap'o tools do not offer this housing.

images

Last edited:
Back