Logo

Powerhead swap,now no forward

oran

I swapped a 1988 Johnson Gt 150 model j150stlcca powerhead to a 1991 Evinrude 150 model ve150sleie this weekend with little problem. I did have to change the tilt and trim relay module and reroute a couple of wires from the term. block on the side of the motor to inside the relay block. Fired up in the yard with no problem. When I got the river it fired without a problem, backed off the trailer with no problem or grinding. But I have no forward gear. I cant see any thing hitting, I disconnected the shift cable and tried to shift by hand. It goes into reverse fine,but just feels like something is hitting not allowing it to shift into gear.
The Evinrude lost compression in one cyl. and that is why I replaced the powerhead. No shift problem or history of shifting problem prior to powerhead swap. This just is baffling me. I crossed the part numbers over for the shifting linkage and both take the same part numbers.
To give you a little insite to my experience I am a 20 yr. master ASE diesel tech. I am not trying to brag here just letting you know I am pretty experienced in mechanical repair. This site has helped me in the past and I thank everyone that has helped out. Oran

No I didnt touch the lower unit or turn the shift fork. I unbolted the powerhead and lifted off with a cherrypicker. Also forgot to mention that when I did lift the powerhead off is when I remembered to unbolt the shift linkage. With that said, it wasnt like I lifted the back of the boat off the trailer with the shift rod hooked up. I noticed this when the powerhead started to tilt . There was very little pressure on the shift rod at this point. I removed the bolt and then lifted the powerhead off. Sorry for forgeting this important bit of info.

Thanks everyone for the insite and I will check. Unfortunately I wont be able to do anything until the weekend when he can bring the boat back. Its in his garage and I have alot of gill nets to tie. I will be back this weekend hopefully to tell you its fixed.

Thanks everyone for the help. I found that I forgot the lock washer on the shift linkage bolt which allowed the bolt to just barely hit the block. It wasn't hitting by much, but it was enough to not aloow forward gear. Boat ran great. Thanks so much.

Back