Logo

Please help!!! 1987 4.3 L

daisynwv44

Just bought a used 1987 four winns 190 horizon with a 4.3 mercruiser engine. We had the boat out a couple of weekends then we got a bad miss. and then it stopped. wouldn't start up. thought we ran out of gas but that wasn't the problem. we put carburator cleaner in, changed the spark plugs and wires. someone told us to put like 3 kinds of fluid in it, let it run idle for about 1/2 hr then take the boat out. Now the boat won't start at all. Could it be the carburator? I'm posting this for my husband who is about ready to go pull the plug out of the boat---he's so frustrated with it!! The sad thing is we have three sons, ages 17, 14, and 10 and they love going out on the river as much as we do and now we can't even enjoy it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix these problems? Thanks!

Re: Please help!!!

my husband doesn't know what type of fuel pump. It's getting gas and spark. i don't know about the lanyard switch. A mechanic is suppose to come look at it early next week. Thanks for the reply though.

Re: Please help!!!

If your husband doesn't know what type of fuel pump it has, my guess is he doesn't know if it's getting both fuel and spark. You made the right decision to have a mechanic look at it.

My guess is:
Mechanical fuel pump went out
Coil
Carb problems from old fuel. My guess is it needs to be rebuilt anyway...

If you didn't run all the old fuel out of the tank. You must get it out of the boat!
Change all the fuel filters

Hopefully you guys are out on the water soon.

Back