Logo

Orange Antifreeze in Bilge - 1998 454 xli "fresh water" cooled (not raw water)

jimmyd

New member
After a long, cold winter I finally got to my boat to open her up. Just before heading home, I noticed orange antifreeze in the engine bed and the antifreeze tanks for both engines are empty. No problem prior years but this year temps. were -25 to -40 for 3 months straight so I think something froze and popped. Thought I would throw this out to see if anyone might steer me as to where to start my search?

Much appreciated,
Jim
 
Get a pressure tester and check to see where things are leaking. I would also pull the dip stick and check for anti freeze there. Good luck!
 
Jim, me in blue text.

................ I noticed orange antifreeze in the engine bed
Jim, was this anti-freeze, as in Ethylene Glycol.... or as in the RV type anti-freeze????
RV water system anti-freeze is pinkish/orangish.... and is sometimes used in engines and exhaust systems during layup. :mad:

and the antifreeze tanks for both engines are empty.
What are you calling an "antifreeze tanks"? Coolant expansion/recovery reservoirs... or the Heat Exchangers?

If the recovery reservoirs are empty, you'll want to find out why.
If the Heat Exchangers are empty, this is not a good sign.

1... did someone inadvertantly drain down the E/G side of the cooling system while winterizing???
2... did the antifreeze not serve freeze protection, and did you suffer engine block freeze damage???


No problem prior years but this year temps. were -25 to -40 for 3 months straight so I think something froze and popped.
Was your coolant good for -25 to -40 degrees???
Was it tested prior???


These engine cooling systems containing Ethylene Glycol, are "Closed Cooling" systems.
Since there is nothing "fresh" about Ethylene Glycol, the term FWC just doesn't work for me.

I know... my pet peeve! :)


.
 
Last edited:
2X on the pressure tester!!!

A 1998 was most likely delivered with DEX-COOL which will be orange (normally)....thats the coolant that sits in the block, heat exchanger, and manifolds.

If could have been the cold, if the coolant concentration was incorrect or it could be corrosion if the coolant wasn't maintained...
 
Hi Guys,

All ok, false alarm. I am one of a hand full of the 250 boats in the yard that expels the anti-freeze from the reservoir over the winter. No one knows why! Ran boat to my summer mooring (1.5 hrs.), everything ran perfect. Just found out that the boat beside me has been doing the same thing since he got it 5 years ago.

Appreciate your input & suggestions,
Jimmyd
 
Best guess is you have a slow drip, drip, drip at some point in the coolant system lower than the bottom of the reservoir. Most likely a hose clamp on the line returning the coolant to the pump from the heat exchanger, or some other such low level location. When the level of coolant gradually falls it sucks more coolant in from the reservoir, until by spring the reservoir is empty. You can likely find the leak with the recommended pressure test, but perhaps your hoses are like the o-rings on the space shuttle, where the rubber became stiff and did not seal only in very cold weather. Loose clamps are notoriously fickle. If it were me I would just carefully tighten all clamps and keep an eye on coolant levels during the season. I'll bet next year the problem goes away.
 
Back
Top