Logo

omc throttle shift controller

jimoo1

I have a early 80s I beleive bell boy with a 4 cyld chevy and a omc 400 outdrive. some one has hooked a manuel throttle up on a seperate lever, The controler is till there and shifts the outdrive, however if you go to far it will start to kill the motor, I think it must be an electrical shut down of sum sort would love to get it all back on to just the controller and due away with the added throttle.however know nothing about thes controllers or why they would have by passed the throttle... any ideas of the best way to fix this issue, new cotroller new parts ect .. Thanks any help is great...

Try disconnecting any cables to the helm and running the engine (on the muffs or well tied to the trailer at the ramp) by working the throttle at the engine, and shifting at the converter housing behind the engine.
This will give you an idea of how the cables operate and are supposed to move, and let you know if that stalling issue has anything to do with cables or controls.

If you want new helm controls, there are lots of side mount and binnacle mount units on eBay with or without cables

If you can post a pic of the drive, side view. That will tell us what drive you have.

Then a pic of the throttle , and extra shift lever.

And a pic of the shift converter , it's where the lower and upper cable come together behind the motor.

Get a close up of the micro switch.

Back