Logo

OMC Cobra II

oldfatguy

Hey gang, for some reason I had to reregister. I was formally on the board as BigGene, now oldfatguy. As usual I have always appreciated everyone's excellent advice and guidance. So here's another request for some help.

I own a 21 ft. Crew with a 3.8 229, chev block. Have the opportunity to purchase a operational Cobra II outdrive reasonably cheap. It is coming off the exact same setup as I have a 3.8 chev. I currently have a 800 stringer.

The question is is this a easy change over and am I gaining anything in regards to it being a better outdrive than the stringer?

All input appreciated, as usual Thanks.

is is this a easy change over and am I gaining anything in regards to it being a better outdrive than the stringer?

no, probably 20-40 hours of plywood and fiberglass work for the most experienced boat builder, and no, the Cobra was worse technology in my opinion. Along with FICHT fuel systems on the outboards, it really caused the death of OMC.
Also, the Cobra was never mated to a 3.8/229
and a "Cobra II" was a sport trim package on the 1974-1978 Ford Mustang. :)

The cutout is different. What does that mean to you ?

Well you will have to fill in the hole of the 800. Then make the cut for the cobra.

You will need everything from the old boat such as the cables, shift converter , throttle.

You will also need the steering.

Really you need everything back from the motor. Inside and and the transom.

Can it be done ? Well without the Whole donor boat i would forget it.

Agree with both gentlemen, with exception to my not knowing anything re; the Cobra not having been mated to a 3.8/229.
I'll take Hystat's word on that!

Some of the stringer drive boat transoms were thin shell only....... meaning that there was no applied core material to the hull's transom..... which would not necessarily be a deal breaker. But do note that both Chief and Hystat have mentioned that the Cobra will require the "in-fill" and a structural transom core.

Unless you are absolutely in love with this 21 ft. Crew boat, it may be that picking up another "engine-less" hull would be a better choice.

Ok I'm convinced I don't need or want this unit, was just wondering if it was worthwhile and apparently not, so I'll stay with what I have. There's nothing wrong with the 800 , but had to ask. Again all feedback is certainly appreciated. And Ricardo I do love the Crew, I searched for a couple years for the shell, It makes the perfect fishing machine for my part of the country. It's alot like me not very pretty but very functional. LOL

Thanks Guys!!

Actually i prefer my 86' stringer. I was going to post that. The drawback is no tilt. That tilt problem can be fixed with the motor tilt option.

Back