Logo

Oil Pressure Gauge - electical issue 2001 4.3

craigo

I have a 2001 Four Winns with a 4.3 GL. I have had problems with my oil pressure gauge over the past couple of seasons, and have narrowed it to an electrical problem. I have replaced the sender twice, and now have a mechanical gauge on it to verify.

But now what? This is a single wire unit, which grounds at the fitting, should I try running a separate wire parallel to the wiring harness? Any ideas on how I might address this problem now that I know it is electrical?

Craig

Re: Oil Pressure Gauge - electical issue

Well.... it's either a gauge problem or a wiring problem given that you've replaced the senders...
It would help if you had a multimeter or at least a test light.
Assuming you have one of these...
1) Disconnect the wire from the oil sender.
2) Check for the presence of +12 volts at the gauge with the ignition on. Actually, you should see +12 at BOTH terminals of the gauge.
a) If you see +12 at the +12 lead to the gauge that is a good start. If not... find out why not.
b) If you see +12 at the wire to the sender, that gauge is likely OK. If not gauge shot.
3) MOMENTARILY ground the gauge at the point that the wire goes to the sender.
a) Gauge should deflect towards maximum reading.
b) If not, gauge shot.
4) If all ok to this point, then MOMENTARILY ground the wire to the sender to the block at the sender.
a) You should see the gauge deflect towards maximum reading
b) If not, you have a problem with the wiring between the gauge and the sender.... repair or replace.

Frequent culprit is the crimp on the connector on the wire going to the sender.

Last edited:
Re: Oil Pressure Gauge - electical issue

Thanks Capt Bob! I think the big problem is that the only time I have this problem is when air temps are in the 90s, and the boat has been running for 3+ hrs towing skiers/boarders. I can't replicate those conditions with the boat on the trailer...

I will check to see what I find with the multimeter, but from your post, if I have an intermittent ground from broken insulation, that should lead to an artificailly HIGH reading on the gauge, where I'm getting a false LOW reading. I'm leaning towards an issue in the wire, with the resistance increasing with heat; so hopefully running a new (and larger gauge?) wire will help.

Craig

Back