Logo

OEM Motor Flush

HondaJoe

Hi guys,

Turning again to my fellow Honda owners for some advise. When I first bought my new to me boat with a 2001 Honda 40BFA I posted a question about flushing the motor after using it, here's the link to the post http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...-and-what-brand-oil-to-use&highlight=hondajoe I now have a new question about flushing hte motor. Since I'm going to be using my boat for duck hunting flushing the motor in the barrek is out because of ice conditions it will cause when draining. I can't and won't leave the barrel filled with antifreeze because of two issues. i can't get the barrel under the motor, even with the motor tilted all the up, without tilting the barrel which is what I do now and then fill it with water for the flush and second If it ever leaked adn my dog got into it I could never forgive myself. SO I went to my local dealer and purchased the Official Honda Flu$h Attachment figuring I now flush it at a friends, shop where ice wold not be an issue. I connected the Official Honda Flu$h Attachment and the water proceeded to flush the water pump but no water came out of the telltale hole hole at the shroud. Is this normal. I know that when I had my Yamaha I used muffs and teh water made it all the way through the water system and would exit from the telltale hole unde shroud.
Does anyone here use the Official Honda Flush Attachment to flush their motors or should I just go and buy a pair of muffs nad see if I block the water intake holes with the muffs and force the water in that way it will go through the water system up to the telltale and not damage anything. PHEW ........... I'm tired after typing all that so I'm gonna take a nap and be back later and hopefully one or more of you gureat Honda owners will have an answer for me.

Joe

Here's a quick update. I put the muffs in the motor and ran the water. Still no water coming out of the telltale. I blocked water from exiting through the intake on the anti cavitation plate and still no water from the telltale. i would appreciate very much if somebody here can enlighten me and let me know how to get a complete flush with the muffs or is this the normal way it works.

Thanks in advance ................. Joe

If you are using the muffs....make sure they are very tight on the lower unit. The round ones that are about 2 1/2 - 3 inches in diameter are the best that I have found. Taping up the intake above the prop is definitely a must.

You did not say if you were running your motor. If the motor is not running, not much of the water will not make it past the impeller. So, run the motor.

If you are running the motor and nothing is coming out the telltale, then, as the motor is running, take some compressed air and shoot it into the telltale hole a couple of times. It might be clogged with debris.

Make sure the muffs are covering the entire intake.

With all that being said, this motor normally does not do well, running on muffs. It should only be run for a short time...it tends to overheat unless everything is perfect.

Mike

Mike - I can't thank you enough for taking the time to answer this post. The mufs I used were as you descrbed 2 1/2 - 3 inches and i did not tape the intake but I did keep the palm of my hand over it to keep water from coming out. Also i did not run the motor with this set up. As I stated I want to use the muffs in the winter months after a day of duck hunting. As an FYI when I do run the motor in a barrel there is a very strong stream coming from the telltale so I know its not a clog. I guess i'll just haave to live with flushing the lower unit only with fresh water until the weather ermits me to go back to flushing with the barrel.

Once again thanks for the helpful reply ........................ Joe

tank.jpgstock tank....about 100-120 bucks from amazon....you can use trim with it...

Last edited:
Back